The detractions of Windows 10

Reaction score
There's a number of irritations with Windows 10 I've detected in the 4 days I've upgraded to it from windows 7

1. Cannot get email sound alerts without being accompanied by banners covering up important areas of your screen.

2. Cannot easily save websites to windows start menu. You are forced to go through this long convoluted procedure now where as it was really simple in W7!

3. Cannot add html in signature in emails with the pre-installed mail app. So I used to have a link to my blog automatically added to my emails. That's no longer possible.

4. Loads of bugs whereby things are not responding like the start button not responding etc. Also not having a net connection on first boot.

5. Having to use this dos command prompt all the time for loads of things, and altering the registry. Used these more in past few days than in years on W7!

6. Excel has altered its dates to the American format in all my old spreadsheets! (I'm English)

7. Continually getting nagged saying I don't have administrator permission to do this, that and the other. This is just copying folders and the like. I just press continue or whatever, and it does it. But it's my computer that I paid over £1400 for. Who the heck do microsoft think they are saying they won't give me permission??

And that command prompt won't work unless you right click it and choose the "run as administrator". But what is the purpose of ever *not* running as an administrator?

8. Feedback hub doesn't work. Just get an endlessly circling large circle thingy.

9. Getting a mere 10 days to revert back to previous OS is a ridiculously short period. People need a month at least.

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Most of your issues can be attributed to the upgrade path....it's common. Some experience this while other don't. I've always been in favor of a clean install when it comes to a new OS.

As you've noticed...most of those so called MS Apps suck....as they are just trimmed down versions of the real thing. I like many other windows users refuse to use any of those apps.

I don't know what you're running windows 10 on (laptop or desktop) but if this were my rig, I would revert back to 7 and keep 7 and never upgrade it. Then either partition the HDD or add a new one and do a clean install with windows 10 on it using your 7 key.

Reaction score
Hello, I wasn't actually requesting solutions, although of course they are very welcome :) Both the internet connection and the start menu problem seem to have resolved. But I have no idea why they are resolved since all the proposed solutions I tried didn't work! I switched superfetch off. That seemed to solve the start menu issue. However, yesterday I switched superfetch back on, and the original problem hasn't manifested itself again! So perhaps switching superfetch off didn't actually do anything. But why the original problem appears to have gone I have no idea.

I don't understand this different versions thing, although it appears everyone else can have sound alerts without banners appearing apart from me! So I must have one of the crappy versions of W10. No idea which version it is. I installed it 4 days ago. Shouldn't the update make all the versions the same??

It's the mail app I hate most of all. When I get email messages it doesn't just give me one sound alert, but loads of them! And the banners there also to rub salt in the wound (yes I know I can turn it all off, but I would just like a *single* email sound alert).

One thing which is great though is that emails seem to arrive immediately It doesn't seem to check every 30 mins or so as it does in windows live mail (which you can reduce to 1 min, but this mail app seems to just receive email when it's there ready to be retrieved so to speak). Nevertheless, I'd prefer to have windows live mail back, but it won't work! :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Most of your issues can be attributed to the upgrade path....it's common. Some experience this while other don't. I've always been in favor of a clean install when it comes to a new OS.

As you've noticed...most of those so called MS Apps suck....as they are just trimmed down versions of the real thing. I like many other windows users refuse to use any of those apps.

I don't know what you're running windows 10 on (laptop or desktop) but if this were my rig, I would revert back to 7 and keep 7 and never upgrade it. Then either partition the HDD or add a new one and do a clean install with windows 10 on it using your 7 key.

Hmm . .partition the hard drive? Outside my skills, I'd need to learn how to do that. But I only have one of those product key numbers so not sure if it would allow me to have both OS's on?

A PC I'm using.

T_J

Reaction score
I had Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 7, then got the free Windows 10 upgrade. Windows Live Mail 2012 survived the 2016 W10 free upgrade. WLM 2012 still works on my 2012 W10 Dell. I did use the W10 Mail app for awhile, but switched to Thunderbird.

Reaction score
My windows live mail won't work. Just getting errors when it tries to send and receive email. I could try uninstalling and re-installing I suppose.

T_J

Reaction score
W10 Mail app would receive emails, but would never send emails, hit send and they would go to outbox to die. I used WLM 2012 to send emails. Finally switched to Thunderbird after some on this forum recommended it.

Reaction score
With thunderbird, can you have just sound alerts when email arrives without getting banners and stuff? Can you use a signature with html?

T_J

Reaction score
I did not have to do anything to get WLM 2012 to work in W10. WLM 2012 worked in W7, did the free W10 upgrade, WLM 2012 worked in W10. Now on the other hand my Symantec Norton Ghost 15 took a beating during the free upgrade, can't run, can't uninstall, can't reinstall. Ghost worked in W7.

Last edited:

T_J

Reaction score
Thunderbird / Menu / Options / options - show an alert, show a tray icon, play a sound (can select all or 1 or 2 or none of these; and can customize them also).
I don't use signatures, so I don't know, some other forum members may know.
I used WLM since 2012 (have MS Outlook on my older Dell).
I used Thunderbird since sometime in 2017, is similar to WLM.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thunderbird / Menu / Options / options - show an alert, show a tray icon, play a sound (can select all or 1 or 2 or none of these; and can customize them also).
I don't use signatures, so I don't know, some other forum members may know.
I used WLM since 2012 (have MS Outlook on my older Dell).
I used Thunderbird since sometime in 2017, is similar to WLM.

I've just installed Thunderbird. Unlike the mail app, you can check the sound alerts box without also checking in the "show an alert". Unfortunately it doesn't work! If I leave the "show an alert" unchecked, I get no sound alert either. So exactly the same as the microsoft mail app.

Reaction score
I've just installed Thunderbird. Unlike the mail app, you can check the sound alerts box without also checking in the "show an alert". Unfortunately it doesn't work! If I leave the "show an alert" unchecked, I get no sound alert either. So exactly the same as the microsoft mail app.

Just uninstalled. Way too buggy.

Ask a Question