The Windows 11 discussion

Reaction score
I saw the 'advertisement' for W11 on twitter and then went to the Windows blog. Got the "can your computer run Windows11" app and ran it on my PCs.
Interesting. My Insider PC cannot run Windows 10 it says. I'll believe it, it is 10 years old but the stupid app does not say why it can't . I suspect it is to do with either the 'trusted platform' thing or that the mobo does not use EUFI. Just annoying that it doesn't say.

Reaction score
Only one of my 7 PC's will be able to run it. My old gaming PC (built in 2013) even has a EUFI, but it doesn't support secure boot. Looks like my older PC's will be running 10 until 2025. Then they all go to Linux.

Reaction score
I installed the app and my trusted Laptop is not capable (or worthy) to run Windows 11. It however runs the latest Insider Version without any issues....

Reaction score
I then checked my laptop again probably EUFI or trusted boot.
My wife's fairly new home built PC I know does not have EUFI as I built it without...but I suspect a complete full scale clean install and it would,

I am not convinced about MS strategy on this. We will see.

FWIW my main PC bought in 2020 can run W11 so maybe that will become the Insider machine and my wife.s PC will become the main daily used PC

Reaction score
There’s problems with the tool as many users are complaint it states their pc cannot run Win 11.
In my case it gave the same but it now seems my Intel processor is too old.

Reaction score
I'm not moving forward, even if it is a free update. I'm not moving to an OS that is lock down and gives users no control over their own operating system. When Windows 10 looses support, I may finally get an operating system close to what I want.

I'm currently using MS Office 2010. Everyday I load office, I get this stupid banner as if I didn't get it the day before telling me Office 2010 is out of date. I'm happy with 2010 it does every thing I need. Their daily spam is only infuriating people.

I'm sick of MS. I'm not certain what I'm going to do. But I will no longer support them outside of continuing to use what I already have. This may even mark the beginning of the end of PC for me. It may be time to move on and do something else with my time.

Reaction score
If I do move to Linux. It will be because I no longer want anything to do with Windows. That means no VM's of Windows for me.

Reaction score
When you say we will have no control in the new windows 11, do you mean what they put on by default stays that way, like not being able to shut off edge..because I read where they're dumping skype for windows team by default?.

Reaction score
When you say we will have no control in the new windows 11
That is part of it. Each build underminds the user's custom settings. You can't go six months without MS disrupting user settings. All because of an automatic update cycle. Then you have all the bloat that can't be removed. It is even painful disabling bloat, because the next build re-enables them.

Reaction score
I'm not moving forward, even if it is a free update. I'm not moving to an OS that is lock down and gives users no control over their own operating system. When Windows 10 looses support, I may finally get an operating system close to what I want.

I'm currently using MS Office 2010. Everyday I load office, I get this stupid banner as if I didn't get it the day before telling me Office 2010 is out of date. I'm happy with 2010 it does every thing I need. Their daily spam is only infuriating people.

I'm sick of MS. I'm not certain what I'm going to do. But I will no longer support them outside of continuing to use what I already have. This may even mark the beginning of the end of PC for me. It may be time to move on and do something else with my time.
I'm also still using MS Office 2010. Great version, and I also get the annoying flag telling me it's out of date.

Reaction score
I will definitely not buy new hardware, just to be compatible with Win11. No Siree...
I also still use Office 2010, however I do not get the banner anymore but I am not sure why. What I do know is that Office 2010 got the last Update in April 2021, nothing since then, at least nothing came through anymore.
I stick with Windows 10 as long if not longer past its expiration date. Heck, my laptop I am writing this with, is running 1803 FWIW and I do not have any issues so far...

Reaction score
Microsoft seem to be going the same way as Google Chrome book's and Apple ipads and Mac, where you have to purchase a new machine every three or four years.

Reaction score
I looked deeper into my wifes machine. The mobo would require a small plugin for TPM but as it is 6 years old seems hardly worth it.

Ask a Question