The Windows 11 discussion

Reaction score
So my plan is to use hers as the daily driver and use the newer machine for W11. I will keep the laptop until is dies and my old I7 machine will get stripped of its SSd and dumped probably. It is too big and power hungry to use it for Pfsense.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
By it's sister site, would you use the same password etc?.
Unfortunately it's not possible to link the site via usernames, so you'll need to sign up again on that site with a new username and password.

Reaction score
End of the line for me, also. On my pension/budget, there is no new computers coming this way. Sad news is that a few old guys like myself, whose computers I manage, are in the same boat.
Microsoft may have shot themselves in the foot with this one, but rumour (?)has it that the pressure ois on and they may change the requirement codeing later
fwiw. I have tried four different “fixes” available on the web. In my case, none of them worked.
It seems that the majority has to do with the Cpu, more than the boot configuration.
Personally, I found it a little offensive that MS were imposing rules as to how I deal with my start up security. - that is my concern, not theirs

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wait. I thought that Windows 10 was Microsoft's final operating system. When will I be forced into yet another evil system?

Reaction score
Wait. I thought that Windows 10 was Microsoft's final operating system. When will I be forced into yet another evil system?
How are you forced into using Windows 10 / Windows 11 OS or any Windows OS.

I have never been forced to install or use any OS as it's my choice to use the OS or not to use the OS.

In my experience the user always has to agree and accept whatever terms and conditions of the Windows OS prior to installing any Windows OS.

Windows 11 will be no different. o_O

Only my opinion which doesn't count. o_O

:)

Reaction score
Which is why I'm happy with Windows 10.

Can't wait for that day. I may finally have a better user experience.
poorguy said:
Windows 11 will be no different. o_O
BigFeet said:
It's not a forced upgrade. Windows 10 will still be supported until Oct., 2025.

I'm going to wait and see what happens and until Windows 11 becomes a final release.

Perhaps I'll build this.

Perhaps it will run Windows 11 and if not then I'll see how it works with Red Dead Redemption 2 and Steam Flight Simulator.

Reaction score
I'm going to wait and see what happens and until Windows 11 becomes a final release.

Perhaps I'll build this.

Perhaps it will run Windows 11 and if not then I'll see how it works with Red Dead Redemption 2 and Steam Flight Simulator.
Both those games will struggle on that APU. It's way better than anything Intel has, as far as onboard graphics though. Also if you're going to be using the Vega graphics, having dual channel ram is very important. The Vega graphics will handle most competitive games like fortnite, cs:go, etc. I've seen that it does fairly well with gta 5.

Reaction score
I kinda wondered about the APU and thought it sounded to good for the price.

Last build I did was in 2006 for Flight Simulator X and cost $$$$.

I guess I'm going to have to do some researching and see what I can come up with nowadays.

It was a lot easier to let go of $$$$ back in 2006 now I'm to cheap and don't want to pay the high prices.

Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Not when scalpers are snatching them all up and tripling (or more) the price.

Two of my computers (home built) have TPM headers on the motherboards (20pin and 14pin) but I cant find any sellers of suitable TPM's anywhere where I live after an online search. They both have Secure Boot enabled.

My third computer is a 12 year old Lenovo desktop workstation that has a TMP (v1.2) and 4GB ram, and an old dual core intel CPU, but it cant run UEFI, Secure Boot or GPT disks. It runs Windows 10 21h1 without any issues.

Apparently MS have included an option to bypass the TPM and Secure boot requirements in the registry of Windows 11 preview and insider versions. I dont know if they'll leave that registry hack available in the RTM version for end users, but apparently they're going to allow OEM companies to ship windows 11 computers without TPM's or the Secure Boot options enabled. (installed?)

But that still leaves the problem of incompatible (too old 4th gen and 6th gen) CPU's for me, if I want to upgrade to Windows 11. I wont make that final decision until after the RTM release, and then decide if I'll stay with Windows 10 or chose to do another home build/upgrade...

I'm thinking/hoping MS will take into account the home user backlash against these mostly un-needed hardware requirements and allows those of us with older hardware to be able to upgrade to Windows 11.

T_J

Reaction score
Looks like my 2012 Dell Inspiron 660 (20H2) will be on W10 for awhile; then maybe Ubuntu. UEFI, Secure Boot ON, TPM none, i3 2120. Fewer W10 major updates next 4 years would be nice.

Ask a Question