The Windows 11 discussion

Reaction score
I saw the 'advertisement' for W11 on twitter and then went to the Windows blog. Got the "can your computer run Windows11" app and ran it on my PCs.
Interesting. My Insider PC cannot run Windows 10 it says. I'll believe it, it is 10 years old but the stupid app does not say why it can't . I suspect it is to do with either the 'trusted platform' thing or that the mobo does not use EUFI. Just annoying that it doesn't say.
Better to update your system using Windows 10 Update Assistant

Reaction score
My old hp pavilion (orig Windows 7) 2010, not unexpectedly, says it can't run Windows 11. However, I AM using Windows 11 as an Insider. Will I be able to keep Windows 11 once it becomes available?

Reaction score
I saw the 'advertisement' for W11 on twitter and then went to the Windows blog. Got the "can your computer run Windows11" app and ran it on my PCs.
Interesting. My Insider PC cannot run Windows 10 it says. I'll believe it, it is 10 years old but the stupid app does not say why it can't . I suspect it is to do with either the 'trusted platform' thing or that the mobo does not use EUFI. Just annoying that it doesn't say.
It doesn't support it now but it should eventually.

Reaction score
When you say we will have no control in the new windows 11, do you mean what they put on by default stays that way, like not being able to shut off edge..because I read where they're dumping Skype for windows team by default?.
Why do you think they bought Skype in the first place? Only so they could dump it and leave them with the monopoly on these type of applications.

Reaction score
Only one of my 7 PC's will be able to run it. My old gaming PC (built in 2013) even has a EUFI, but it doesn't support secure boot. Looks like my older PC's will be running 10 until 2025. Then they all go to Linux.
Noone of MY machines will run it. Maybe my wife's laptop (and that's not mine to work on at all), and my work laptop probably would (but that runs Linux, because that's my daily work).

My brother has one piece-of-crap Dell that has a supported processor, but as I wouldn't be moving it to MSW11, I wouldn't waste my time checking it. I've already looked through the list of apps he has on his two machines, and everything already has a Linux version, functional Linux equivalent, or will run under Wine (like Quicken2013 or Family Tree Maker 7.0).

Reaction score
Unless Windows 11 supports Core 2 Duo dual core processors than Microsoft may be right about Windows 10 being my last Windows because I ain't buying no new computers.
I am not an Insider, but from what I can tell, even new Microsoft Surfaces may not be compatible. I checked my own Surface Pro 5. It has Core I5, 4 GB ram, enough storage space and UEFI. Report immediately says not compatible. I suspect this is about something other than my hardware. This suggests to me an effort to get me to buy a new system. Several have said when Win10 goes end-of-life they will switch to Linux. In the 1990s I used to teach (Network +) classes. We would install Linux on an old class demo server. It had a tiny hard drive (less than 1 gig), an early Pentium CPU and only 4 MB ram. Linux ran like a champ on that dinosaur. I also suspect we haven't heard the final story on this widespread incompatibility. It may magically disappear.

Reaction score
The microsoft pc health check won't download anymore, even from their own page. So there maybe a problem with it.

Reaction score
My old hp pavilion (orig Windows 7) 2010, not unexpectedly, says it can't run Windows 11. However, I AM using Windows 11 as an Insider. Will I be able to keep Windows 11 once it becomes available?

No. They are bending the rules to allow Insiders to try Win11, but when it goes to general availability, you will have to clean install Win10.

From

Preparing for Insider Preview Builds of Windows 11

Once Windows 11 is generally available, these PCs will be opted out of flighting and will not be able to receive future Windows 11 Insider Preview builds. These PCs must clean install back to Windows 10 with the media (ISOs) that we provide and can then join the Release Preview Channel to preview Windows 10 updates.

There is some chance they will lower the CPU requirement to 7th gen, but I think they are adamant about Secure Boot and TPM 2.0.

Reaction score
I've been using windows since it was released and since versions 1 and 2 in the mid 80's! If Win-11 persists with their limited hardware restrictions and forces 80% of their users off their platforms then, I will use other OS's that can accomodate my hardware. I've got one system that will handle Win-11 but and due to the politics (especially Gates and his nonsense) that Microsoft also is involved with and where they are going I’ve had enough, as I'm really getting fed up and really cheesed off of what I'm supporting and have supported for many decades. Sorry Microsoft but you have cornered yourselves into a corner that many users will have no other choice(s) but to find other alternatives.

Reaction score
Reading all those people who have machines which can't upgrade to Wee11, I call it windows911, cause it's a disaster...
All my machines can't, due to the CPU...
Microsoft, what are you doing?
Tell us...

Reaction score
I bought a laptop 3 years ago for taking classes at a Comm college. I had Win 10 Home but rebuilt the laptop with an SSD and installed the free Win 10 Edu. Win 11 checker said I didn't have the Edu Admin permission to upgrade to Win 11. Oh well no big deal. I was on it yesterday when I got the restart notice for updates. I am on Win Insider and thought nothing of it. Came back 15 minutes later and Hello Windows 11!! It is a little different but I am curious so whatever, I'll take it. I don't know if laptop has TPM or UEFI.

Reaction score
I bought a laptop 3 years ago for taking classes at a Comm college. I had Win 10 Home but rebuilt the laptop with an SSD and installed the free Win 10 Edu. Win 11 checker said I didn't have the Edu Admin permission to upgrade to Win 11. Oh well no big deal. I was on it yesterday when I got the restart notice for updates. I am on Win Insider and thought nothing of it. Came back 15 minutes later and Hello Windows 11!! It is a little different but I am curious so whatever, I'll take it. I don't know if laptop has TPM or UEFI.

Just keep in mind that if your laptop does not have TPM, or UEFI, or Secure Boot, or any other hardware requirement that ultimately are settled upon, that when general availablility comes along, you will have to clean reinstall Windows 10 on your machine. MS relaxed requirements just for the Insiders Program, but just for the run up to release.

Reaction score
I'm also still using MS Office 2010. Great version, and I also get the annoying flag telling me it's out of date.
I couldn't agree more: I still have a master-copy of OFFICE-2003; ALL IS GOOD and less complicated than the newer versions; after all, it is MY DECISION to hold on to legally obtained software; cannot be updated?? WONDERFUL!
The moment that I mount my legal Office-2008 or -2010 and on the new laptop 2018 or so - it discards / disrupts what was working fine for me before.

My question: are there small routines / apps that allow me to crank up WOR & CO with whichever version I legally have on my PC?

I also agree with that each personal customization is being annulled with every new 'update' - that's DISRESPECT TO US, the user.

Reaction score
I got my former comment back - out of nowhere; so I 'deleted' that double -- and both comment were sent to cyber-hell - NOT GOOD guys. . .
T'was abt Office 2003, 2008, 2010 and later

Let's see if someone knows abt a mini-App that allows choosing my WORD & Co version (all legal)

Reaction score
Well I tried doing backups and system images 4 times each. Nothing showing in 11 other than cloud, all automated. Old backup and restore was still there. Fail, fail, fail, fail. Bye 11.

"I still have a master-copy of OFFICE-2003; ALL IS GOOD"
I'm a pack rat. Need a copy of DOS6??:cool:

Reaction score
Oh what fun. Win 11 still wants to install so disable TPM and hide in BIOS. Now Win 11 says my PC will not run Win 11 and then tries to download and install. Install fails and the process starts over. There was a 21H1 update along with Win 11 but that has disappeared.
I'm starting to get that MS feeling!o_Oo_Oo_O

Reaction score
I don't want to install it yet I just want a checker app that I can run on all my 6 systems to see if there is anything that will keep them from running it. So far I haven't found any such app/file.

Reaction score
I don't want to install it yet I just want a checker app that I can run on all my 6 systems to see if there is anything that will keep them from running it. So far I haven't found any such app/file.

0710a425-77a3-466d-8d89-9aeb39c3e059

Notice under "Check for compatibility" where it says to Download App? That link has been pulled due to the application being upgraded for more accurate results. I don't know how long it will take for them to put the download link back up. But for now it only shows the text "Coming Soon". Keep an eye on that page for an updated Windows 11 Compatibility Application.

Ask a Question