Themes

Reaction score
I'm curious. My install of Win10 on a clean SSD has two desktop themes with a Halloween motif. One is titled Eerie Autumn Modified and the other is the same theme but merely titled Unsaved Theme. If my memory is still functional I have had the Eerie Autumn theme installed on Windows 8 or 8.1. If I make any changes, such as the sounds (mail call) it will show the theme as Eerie Autumn Modified if I save it. Without saving it just shows it as Unsaved Theme. Did anyone else have these themes install with their Win 10 preview (right click on the desktop and select personalize)? They look like a theme I've had before and changed the sound (Radar O'Reilly announces Mail Call Sir). If it's just my install and these are themes that I had before where in heck did they come from? I have saved nothing in the cloud or anywhere else off the computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Same here I ended up with "Castles of Europe" theme which I had installed on some machine at one time or another that I don't even remember my only guess is that they are associated with my Microsoft ID (of which I have two) and are preserved somewhere out there in the ether.

Reaction score
This is indeed a most curious situation. I wonder why this particular theme installed automatically and none of the other themes i have used are showing up if they are somehow associated with a Microsoft account. Somehow, when I signed up to download the preview the Microsoft computers quickly incorporated the theme into the download I was about to initiate and programmed it to activate. There are three other themes showing which are, I think, standard fare in the Windows 8 series of systems. I wonder what other information about me might be stored in Redmond..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder what other information about me might be stored in Redmond
:) Hat size, collar, waist, inseam, etc., etc.... So they can fit you up for a nice Microsoft FanBoy Costume for their next "I'm a PC" Commercial.:)

Reaction score
Horses for courses, but this is common when I install, or reinstall, an OS. In my case, it is because it links with my "Live" account, which then syncs and downloads all my earlier customisation. However, in Windows X, if, in the beginning of the final setup, you choose manual instead of automatic, there is now a new option to select. Cant remember the exact wording, but it says something about your choice of accepting the defaults or making an entirely freshly customised OS.
Me and a few colleagues might be to blame (sorry) as we gave feedback that we at worst, wanted the choice, which was not available before if you logged in, during the setup, with your MS Live ID. There were apparently quite a few suggestions in this vein, as, it seems, MS listened.

Their was a clumsy way around it with earlier OSs, and that was to disconnect from the internet during the install and log on with a local account, custopmise, and then log on with a second, MS account.
And yes, Dipsy. They have all you preferences stored through OneDrive-Sync, BBut, it is a choice, you dont have to use OneDrive.

Ask a Question