This is one for the books....PC won't shut down.

Reaction score
Ok, here is the problem(s) that may be for the books so to speak. I have two computers. Both HP models. One had Windows 7 Home, the other had Windows 7 Professional. Last fall I upgraded the PC with WIN 7 Home to WIN 10. All went well and all is going great. I changed the PC settings so the PC Windows 10 Boot Up Faster by opening "Power Options" and click "Choose what power buttons do", and clicked "Change Settings" and under Shutdown Settings, made sure "Turn On Fast Startup" is enabled. When I want to shutdown the PC, I just click that as all goes well.

Now comes the PC with Windows 7 Professional. Yesterday, I upgraded to WIN 10 Pro. All went good and all seems to work. with the exception it shuts down. When I click on Shutdown, the monitor goes blank(black), but the PC itself will not shutdown. In fact after a few seconds the monitor comes back on. So, I go into "Power Options", click "Choose What Power Buttons Do" and click on Change Settings" and find that the box "Turn On Fast Startup" is checked. NOW Note: I "unchecked" the box where it shows.. "Turn On Fast Startup" and click the PC to shutdown the monitor goes black and the PC shuts down like the other computer I have.

So, what is the problem here? Both have WIN 10 and one has the "Turn on fast startup" checked in the box, and PC shuts down, the other has it "unchecked" so the PC can shut down. Weirded setup it seems.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the PC itself will not shutdown
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Please right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (admin) and in the command prompt window type
shutdown /s /t 00
hit enter
Does your computer shut down after that?
IF so then I would suspect that there is a difference between the two computers as to which power plan scheme they are using.
Check the advanced power options and compare them side by side and see if you notice any differences.

Ask a Question