SOLVED Transferring audiobooks to my mp3 player

Reaction score
I listen to a ton of audiobooks, all from my local library. Sometimes they're on this program called Overdrive, and it's very simple to put the audiobook onto my Sansa player. But frequently I have to use the CD's of the book. . . which was not a problem in Windows 7, just a little time-consuming. I'm still using Win Media Player but the whole process seems like it's been turned upside down. Ripping the CDs is no problem, but then after that I'm lost. The books seem to wind up in Albums (on WMP) and from there I've been using trial and error (mostly error.) The books do eventually wind up on my Sansa player, but under Music, not Audiobooks (the Sansa player has various "folders" - radio, books, music, voice, etc.) How do I navigate the process so they wind up in Audiobooks? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have a 4 gig Sansa Clip and an 8 gig Sansa Clip Jam.
A lot of audio CDs from the library can get pretty complicated during the rip process, however if you've setup you rip options to direct your rip to a particular folder ( usually do this with each book, I create a Author's Name folder in my local Music folder and point the rip process at that for each new book or you can do it by title if you prefer or if you are ripping multiple titles by the same author.
As far as then placing the folder containing the ripped music into the container of your choice on your Sansa MP3 player it should be as simple as plugging it in and then dragging and dropping from your music folder into the container on the Sansa.
Personally I always put my audiobooks into the Music container on my mp3 players, whether from OverDrive or the ones that I've ripped. Never bothered with the Audiobook container. Not sure if it really makes any difference.
Is it causing you some problems?

Reaction score
No, it doesn't really make a difference, I just like to keep my music in the Music container and my books in the Books container :) I guess what I need, frankly, is a list of steps (sort of spelled out as this kind of thing doesn't come naturally to me.) For instance, when you say, "direct your rip to a particular folder" - what do you mean, and how do you do that? A folder in WMP, or on the Sansa player? And when you say "local Music folder," what do you mean by that? The local Music folder in WMP? Also, I've been syncing the audiobooks to the Sansa player - which I never did in Windows 7 - but I don't know if I need to do that. It's all been part of my trial and error process.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
when you say, "direct your rip to a particular folder" - what do you mean, and how do you do that?
When you open Windows Media Player and use the toolbar to select "Options" and then select the "Rip Music" tab you have the option to select and or change the folder where your rip process will put the files from the CD. It defaults, I believe to just "Music" but because of the mess that ripping library audio CDs can sometimes be, I never leave it at the default setting
You also have the option to select the format resulting from the rip as well as the quality.
Capture.JPG

And when you say "local Music folder," what do you mean by that?
That would be the folder that is created with a default install of Windows.... located at C:\Users\YourUserName\Music (along with all your other profile folders).
Also, I've been syncing the audiobooks to the Sansa player - which I never did in Windows 7 - but I don't know if I need to do that. It's all been part of my trial and error process.
I've never used the "Sync" feature. I just open two windows
The "Music" folder subfolder where the book is located as a result of having ripped it (right click and choose "copy")
AND
The "Music" folder on my mp3 player where I want to place it (right click and choose "paste")
I never have any problem with the transfer process it seems to work everytime. My issue(s) usually come with how Windows Media Player identifies or mis-identifies the individual disks (albums) and then sorting the media tags of the individual files so they all play in the correct order.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good luck and keep us posted and.....
By the way, welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
In a similar vein, my wife buys and downloads books from Audible and loads them into her Ipod via Itunes. She had to redownload the Audible manager after going to W10 before it would properly see itunes.

The previous thread about the Adobe digital editions similar. Just some of those little things which really must be expected after a new OS is installed.

Reaction score
Good luck and keep us posted and.....
By the way, welcome to the forum.

Yesterday I got a couple of audiobooks and with great trepidation, started to rip them and then transfer them to my little sansa player. It was all so seamless and easy - just the way you instructed. I would've been floundering around forever if not for your advice, whoever you are! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Reaction score
Actually, there's a little glitch that, while not catastrophic, is annoying. But it may have to do with my Dell laptop, which is a few years old now. When I put audiobook CD's into the laptop (Win Media Player), the previous disc stays on the screen. For example, I eject disc 8, put in disc 9, but disc 8 still shows on the screen. What I have to do is wait about 5 seconds, eject disc 9, then push it back in again. Only then does it show up on the screen. I'm wondering if it has to do with the speed of my computer?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK.... I haven't experienced that behavior.
Usually when I eject the CD (actually, I don't eject it, I have my rip setting configured to eject the CD after Ripping) you can see that check box in the image I attached above.
When Windows Media Player ejects the CD after ripping, it promptly disappears from the left side navigation column in Windows Media Player.

Ask a Question