Thought i had an OS backup - but it was corrupt - now what?

Reaction score
system is windows 10 pro 64 bit - cannot access the exact version right now

so after having hard drives go bad in the past i took the precaution of using a 3rd party program ( Macrium Reflect 8 ) to take a complete image of my C-drive or so i thought - i had checked that it was backing up an image of my c drive operating system partitions regularly - and that image was 69GB - so all seemed well

however, when my PC went black screen and refused to boot ( i suspect the C drive which is a SSD has just died or bits of it containing necessary operating system files have gone bad as its a few years old)
when i came to use the backup image - in Macrium reflect that 69GB file was only recognized as a single 500MB support partition - the main windows partition was missing - as were the other expected partitions. not sure why that is but i have tried all ways to get it to recognize the image properly but it just seems confused as to whats in the file ( drive description does not match what macrium was set to backup)

now i i cannot seem to get into any kind of recovery mode - windows initially tries to start and then either goes to black screen with curser - or i am just getting a blue screen with a message that
windows failed to turn off properly and needs to be repaired -error code 0xc0000001
or
failed to start after multiple tries and needs to be repaired - same error code

F11 does not give me any recovery options
turning the machine on an off 3 times densest bring up any recovery / advanced options

there is a restore point thats about an month old that should work if i can get to it

whats the best way of going about this?

Reaction score
update - downloaded windows 10 media to usb and used that to attempt recovery

restore - no good - the recovery environment could not seem to find the restore point = even though i know there was one

repair start up - "start-up repair could not repair your pc"

image recovery - i have no windows image files - other than the broken macrium ones

any ideas - really trying to avoid a complete fresh install as i had a lot of other programs installed - some of which i dont know where the licence is for some so it will be a real pain

Reaction score
Windows repair only looks for windows images not third party images. Did you create a Macrium boot disk or USB?
I suspect your boot files were corrupted and sometimes they can be rebuilt with the command prompt tool in the windows recovery advanced section. It can be tedious but a google or similar search can help with that.
At this point I would be looking at a reinstall but you also need to make sure that SSD is ok.

Ask a Question