SOLVED Thread Stuck in Drivers

Reaction score
Computer Specs:
BIOS: A4CN40WW (V 2.09)
Processor AMD A10-7300 Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 1.9GHz
System Manufacturer: Lenovo
System Model: 80EC
History: Computer is nearing one year in age at this point. When purchased was able to play games (SWTOR) for long sessions with no issues. Stop playing games on the computer for several months now and recently returned. Updated AMD drivers then the problem began.
The Problem: BSOD appears when playing video games with error of Thread Stuck in Drivers. When it crashes to seems to be random in that an hour can go by with no issue and then crash, other times i can not get into the log in screen of my game before crash occurs. Also since reading up on this issues i notice no one else mentions this but at the blue screen a loud sound comes out of the speakers. Like a sound file that is broken. It is not however a mechanical or physical sound being made from inside the laptop.

What has been attempted:
Updating AMD drivers.
Uninstalling Raptr/Gaming evolved apps
^Failed
Uninstalling AMD and Reinstalling from AMD website.
^Failed
Followed the steps for a Clean Driver Installation from the Website Tomshardware.com and used the DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller)
^Failed

Question: Does anyone else have any ideas how to fix this?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Rudolph,

Welcome to the Forum.

On reading your opening thread I was not sure what you mean by ^Failed. I am assuming you went through an action which itself worked OK, but unfortunately failed to resolve your 'Thread stuck in driver' error.

Or did you mean you were unable to successfully uninstall Raptr or AMD?

Essentially, however, the error you are seeing is telling you a Device Driver has hung and is awaiting an instruction to continue, or is awaiting resources in order to continue.

A common cause of this is when you have upgraded driver files but not done a clean install; but rather, kept the old driver file or files, and simply installed the latest driver over the top per se.

There is no guarantee that this is your issue, but given its relatively simple to do a clean install, its worth trying to see whether that may resolve your BSOD issue.
  • First, via Device Manager right-click on the Device in question and select uninstall
  • Second go to AMD's web site and download the latest driver but DO NOT install it yet!
  • Third go here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Grab the latest download of Display Driver Uninstaller

Install this program, then when its running select AMD and follow instructions on the website for recommended method to clean your System of older driver files for your card.

Once that is done, then you want to install the latest driver - which would now be a clean install.

The only other option I can think of off hand would be to use a Restore Point dated earlier than when you updated your driver and the BSOD began, to resolve the issue as this in theory ought to leave you back with the original driver which I assume was not causing this issue for you.

Regards,

Regedit32

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since it is a laptop, I would strongly suggest visiting Lenovo's support site and securing the latest drivers they have for your particular computer.
While AMD and Windows 10 (with its' proclivity for installing new drivers) may have later (newer) versions, those are not always optimal for OEM computers, especially laptops where there might have been some tweaks or customization to specific hardware components to support their functionality within a particular environment.
at the blue screen a loud sound comes out of the speakers. Like a sound file that is broken. It is not however a mechanical or physical sound being made from inside the laptop.
So.... in addition to the drivers for your integrated video component, I would suggest also seeing what they have in the way of other drivers for other components as well.....
Chipset, storage controllers, BIOS, audio and networking components also.

Reaction score
Update: I would like to thank Moderators Regedit32 and Trouble for there assistance. Using both of their advises I was able to fix my problem.
I followed Regedit's instructions on preparing my computer for a clean installation. Trouble led me to the Lenovo's website where I discovered a AMD driver that was made for my laptop. Since installing the driver the BSOD problem seems to have been fixed. I was able to play my game for a long stretch of time and no BSOD. I should mention every time I tried the AMD drivers from their website the problem seems to occur. However for the time being it all seems to be working fine. So unless something happens I believe this is a SOLVED case.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Rudolph and letting us know the steps you took.

This helps everyone on the community and guests learn from your experience.

Ask a Question