To Win10 and back?

Reaction score
We upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 today, only to find out the company we're associated with will not be supporting Windows 10. Is it possible to restore our PC to Windows 8 so the company's software will function? If so, what do we need to do to accomplish that? Thank you for your help with this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Start Button -> Settings -> Updates & Security -> Left Column -> Recovery
The option should be there.
Please make sure that you have a backup of all your critical data as well as a disk image if at all possible.
Would have been nice to have an image in advance of the upgrade so you could have just recovered from the disk image

Reaction score
We upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 today, only to find out the company we're associated with will not be supporting Windows 10. Is it possible to restore our PC to Windows 8 so the company's software will function? If so, what do we need to do to accomplish that? Thank you for your help with this.
no such a thing as them not supporting win 10 ..if win 8 work so will win 10.

Reaction score
windows 7/8 will not be supported soon as Microsoft want everybody on the same windows to save money on updates .you wait and see

Reaction score
There are indeed companies, that are not compatible with Windows 10 as of yet, some versions of QuickBooks comes to mind. You should have a rollback option (available within 30 days of upgrading). If you do not have a restore disc, than your option, I think would be to re-install using your original disk, but save off your data files. If this was an OEM machine and you do not have discs, you can you usually purchase the factory restore disks directly from the manufacture, like Acer, HP, Dell etc. that is was I do with all my laptops, usually runs $20 US.

I personally am not a fan of Windows 10, I have started getting complaints about people and their older laptops, increasingly slowing down.

luck to you

Reaction score
If all else fails, i.e. Win 8 disk image to get you back to where you were before the upgrade, then worst case you can ALWAYS re-install Windows of ANY version using the Windows DVD that came with your legal copy of Windows. Might be a pain the in the behind, but it will get the job done. Before doing that, however, and ANYTIME you are changing Windows versions, be sure you create a disk image beforehand so that you can get back to where you were before changing things, AND make sure you've backed up and/or can re-install the special application and date files associated with you companies unique software. I upgraded my wife's PC to Win 10 and she ran into problems with QuickBooks, but she is a QuickBooks Pro Advisor, and was able to fix QuickBooks rather than go back to a previous version of Windows.

Reaction score
Not much help above, except from 'Trouble', so let me at least try by sharing my experiences.
I upgraded from Win 7 to win 10 and got fed up fixing issues in conjunction with Microsoft Tech Support, so I elected to go back to Win 7.
You should find under All Settings, Updates & Security a new feature called something like "Go back to Win 7". I cannot remember the exact label because I have gone back to Win 7 - successfully - using this feature.
BUT, please note the caution that 'this feature will only be available for about one month from the date of upgrade to Win 10'. I don't know how hard this suggested cut-off is in reality.
I said I have done this successfully but there is an exception.
This experience was all on a Samsung laptop which had a few special convenience features using Function keys, and at the point of upgrade there was a message that some of these were incompatible and would have to be uninstalled.
On going back to Win 7 these did not re-appear. I was able to download software from Samsung to fix some but the Bluetooth function has evaded me, Microsoft and Samsung on-line support.
This was just a convenience for me and not a calamity to have lost it. But otherwise Win 7 works as it did before and I am pleased to be rid of Win 10.
It might be worth noting that Samsung did advise against the upgrade to Win 10 before I tried it. And since my turning to them for help after going back to Win 7, they still commented that do not have drivers developed for all Win 10 features - so there is a telling caution, and probably behind the stance of your business chiefs, not intending to support Win 10. I suspect they want it to mature first.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not much help above, except from 'Trouble', so let me at least try by sharing my experiences.
I upgraded from Win 7 to win 10 and got fed up fixing issues in conjunction with Microsoft Tech Support, so I elected to go back to Win 7.
You should find under All Settings, Updates & Security a new feature called something like "Go back to Win 7". I cannot remember the exact label because I have gone back to Win 7 - successfully - using this feature.
BUT, please note the caution that 'this feature will only be available for about one month from the date of upgrade to Win 10'. I don't know how hard this suggested cut-off is in reality.
I said I have done this successfully but there is an exception.
This experience was all on a Samsung laptop which had a few special convenience features using Function keys, and at the point of upgrade there was a message that some of these were incompatible and would have to be uninstalled.
On going back to Win 7 these did not re-appear. I was able to download software from Samsung to fix some but the Bluetooth function has evaded me, Microsoft and Samsung on-line support.
This was just a convenience for me and not a calamity to have lost it. But otherwise Win 7 works as it did before and I am pleased to be rid of Win 10.
It might be worth noting that Samsung did advise against the upgrade to Win 10 before I tried it. And since my turning to them for help after going back to Win 7, they still commented that do not have drivers developed for all Win 10 features - so there is a telling caution, and probably behind the stance of your business chiefs, not intending to support Win 10. I suspect they want it to mature first.
As with most laptop and off the shelf PC vendors. They designed most of their PC's/laptops years in advance. It's not easy for them to rewrite drivers for a new OS, when they, for the most part, are probably designing new PC's for Windows 10. It was the same when XP came out. Many drivers weren't compatible, and most vendors didn't bother creating new ones (partly because they'd rather you buy a new PC/laptop).

That's why I build my own PC's and run Linux on my laptops, even though the driver situation is worse with linux, the community is extremely helpful in that regard.

Reaction score
"That's why I build my own PC's and run Linux on my laptops"

With every respect to your hardware/software competence, this is just the same perspective that abounds within Microsoft. They think that the majority of computer users out here are content to troubleshoot and debug their immature software offerings, just to be up-to-date with 'everyone else', as if it were some sort of Christmas present puzzle.
But there are also people like me who want the product to work faultlessly out of the box. I buy a computer to use it, to do tasks and expect it to be reliable and fit for the tasks for which it is offered. This does not seem to be the case with Windows 10. This forum is filled with people expressing their frustrations at the gross number of problems they have experienced.
With every new version of Windows we hear the same marketing pitch from Microsoft - "We have listened to our customers. This new version will be squillions better than the previous one".
But it rarely is!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This forum is filled with people expressing their frustrations at the gross number of problems they have experienced.
Because that is why we exist.
Would hardly be of any real value to have a forum that only contained comments from the literally millions of users who have had nothing but success installing and or upgrading to Windows 10.
We've had a few and while they are a nice break from the norm and appreciated, they are generally boring.
My experience overall has been universally trouble free after dozens and dozens of upgrades.
Except of course the occasional self inflicted problem, which as much as I would love to blame Microsoft.....
It was me not them

Ask a Question