Toolbar frozen and other issues

Reaction score
I've been searching for the better part of an hour but I can't seem to find anything that can help me. I upgraded to Windows 10 today and nothing works. The toolbar is perpetually frozen and can't be used for anything. Alt tab and Ctrl-Alt-Del only work occasionally. My keyboard and mouse just fail randomly and I have to plug them in and out to get them working again. Search function doesn't work. I haven't been able to get any Windows 10 programs to work. I can't even revert back to Windows 7 since I can't access settings due to the toolbar being frozen, and trying to access it from My PC causes my computer to freeze.

I'm sort of at the end of my rope here so any help would be really appreciated. At this point I'm really just looking for a way to revert back to windows 7.

Edit: shortly after I finished writing this post Chrome stopped working too so I'm on mobile now.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't even revert back to Windows 7 since I can't access settings due to the toolbar being frozen
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Not sure what I can suggest if your machine is freezing so bad that it is truly unusable.

The Windows logo key on your keyboard combined with the X key should bring up a run dialog box.
If that works then you can type in there
ms-settings:recovery
Where you should have the option to Go Back To xxxxx

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately pressing window-x is doing nothing. The only thing that occurs is an error chime like what happens when you try to click on a web page that has a dialogue box up. Not sure if I'm describing that well enough.

This is truly bizarre. It's like my computer is getting worse over time; an hour ago I could view web pages and open steam, now I can't do either. I can't even right click anymore or my computer freezes.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Your only recourse may be to boot from the installation media and attempt to perform some of the advanced troubleshooting options.
I believe that you may find the Go Back option present there as well. Under Trouble Shooting, Advanced Options.

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by boot from the installation media, but if your referring to booting from a windows 7 disk I unfortunately don't have one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you hold the Shift Key while clicking restart?
If so you may want to try that and you should see some Advanced Troubleshooting option on the next screen which might help you to Go Back To ...........
You should be able to do the Shift / Restart thing at the logon screen before you even get into windows if your machine is freezing that badly.

Reaction score
I have a very similar problem after downloading Windows 10, the computer is not responding to the keyboard, after signing into windows the screen and icons flash alternatively rapidly,I cannot open any programs yet the advice is still to go online to find the fix from Microsoft. Doh!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I cannot open any programs yet the advice is still to go online to find the fix from Microsoft. Doh!
Yes ..... been following a couple of MS folks on twitter and their canned response seems to be report problems in the feedback app, or check the MS Community Forum for Windows 10. Wouldn't it be nice if you could actually do that.
Personally, If I'd had a fraction of the problems with my upgrade that others seem to have had or are having currently, I'd have been back on my previous version of Windows by July 30th.
There are problems that are worth persisting through and resolving, but if your computer is for all practical purposes ..... unusable, then I can hardly see a justification for sticking it out.
I think it's obvious to a lot of us by now that this upgrade was just not suited for all the myriad of different computer hardware and software combinations that it has encountered out here in the world.
My wife still gives me the evil eye, because her old Atari Scrabble Game, keeps freezing on Windows 10.

Ask a Question