SOLVED Toshiba Laptop web cam/Camera not working

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am running a 7 yr old Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Windows 10 64-bit, Ver 21H2.

It has a built in camera unit above the monitor, but somehow, sometime ago, it has apparently lost the software (Driver ?) that you would normally see when you look at the Device Manager screen.

(When I try to open the Camera app on my computer, it says ‘Camera can’t be found’ and ‘0xA00F4244 >No cameras are attached’.)

I went to the Toshiba people to see if I could obtain/download a replacement. They have about every other kind of Driver available, but none for the Web Cam/Camera.

Can anyone suggest where I might go to locate a replacement driver for the camera unit on my Toshiba laptop so I can use Skype and Zoom type apps?

(I guess I could take it in to Staples or Best Buy (Geek Squad), but it seems like I should be able to handle this myself if I can find a driver to download?)

Any help, suggestions, or advice here would be greatly appreciated. --I am not too swift when working with Drivers.

Thank you,

Dan D in NJ

Reaction score
I don't have the answer you're looking for, but if you don't find an answer or before you start paying out for a repair bill, I recommend a "cheap" USB webcam from your favourite computer store.

Both of my ancient Toshiba laptops (circa 2007-2008) have microphone/camera problems in linux, so a cheap 20 dollar webcam fixed it. Zoom now works as per usual (at least as good as zoom works) and I find my sound and picture is better than most others with their shiny new laptops.

Reaction score
The reason, why Windows can't find the camera might be that the camera failed and is defective (It would not be the first time). I would do what colin.p suggested.

Reaction score
Many thanks to colin.p and Grizzly for getting back to me on my Toshiba Laptop camera driver-missing issue. And to colin.p, I had never thought of a 'stand-alone USB Web Cam camera unit as both a much less inexpensive and undoubtedly better-quality alternative than trying to pursue finding a new/replacement built-in camera driver. Great suggestion. Thanks again.
Dan D. in NJ

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have the answer you're looking for, but if you don't find an answer or before you start paying out for a repair bill, I recommend a "cheap" USB webcam from your favourite computer store.

Both of my ancient Toshiba laptops (circa 2007-2008) have microphone/camera problems in linux, so a cheap 20 dollar webcam fixed it. Zoom now works as per usual (at least as good as zoom works) and I find my sound and picture is better than most others with their shiny new laptops.
TO: Colin.P

Many thanks for getting back to me on my Toshiba Laptop camera driver-missing issue. I had never thought of a 'stand-alone USB Web Cam camera unit as both a much less inexpensive and undoubtedly better quality alternative than trying to pursue finding a new/replacement built-in camera driver. Great suggestion. Thanks again.

Dan D. in NJ

Last edited:

Ask a Question