Toshiba satellite laptop touch screen dead and usb code 43 error

Reaction score
I have tried everything including re installing windows but the usb code 43 error seems to be the reason that touch screen does not work. I am wondering what I should do? bring in for repairs or what?..

Regedit32

Reaction score
Which device plugged into a USB port is giving your the Error 43 message?
  • A mouse
  • An external keyboard
  • A thumbdrive
  • An external storage drive
  • Something else?

You say you've tried everything including reinstalling Windows 10. What was the everything you tried? Did you run the Setup for Calibrating pen and touch? See here if you are unsure how to do that:

Reaction score
there is no tablet and pc setting in sound and hardware on my version of windows.. There is no device plugged in either. i have windows 10 home edition . unknown usb device.. (failed device) in device manager.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
But what device in Device Manager is showing this?

Is it among the USB Serial Bus Controllers? Or somewhere else?

Reaction score
HID- compliant touch screen is greyed out. when I right click on its properties, under device status, it says: currently, the hardware device is not connected to the computer(code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer. Then, in serial bus controllers the the 2nd in list with yellow flag, it says: Unknown USB device(device descriptor request failed),when I right click on that, it says under properties and device status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.(code 43). A request for the usb device descriptor failed... And then up above device status in location is says: port_#0004.Hub_#0001

Regedit32

Reaction score
What is the model of your Toshiba satellite?

Have you tried rolling back the driver for the HID, as opposed to updating it via Device Manager?

Reaction score
Report incorrect product info or prohibited items
Toshiba Satellite PSPUGU-00400D S55T-C5327-4k
not sure what rolling back means,,, i think you mean recovering. and I was unable to do that for some reason.

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you go into Device Manager and right-click on the device ( in this case, the HID ) you select Properties.

Now select the Driver tab, where you may have the option to click Roll Back Driver

Regedit32

Reaction score
Something else you might want to check is the USB Serial Bus Controllers.

Right-click on each one, and select Properties, then select the Power Management tab
  • Remove the check next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
  • When done, expand the Human Interface Devices then:
    • Right-click on HID Compliant Touch Screen and select Disable Device
    • Right-click on HID Compliant Touch Screen again, and select Enable Device
    • Close the Device Manager and restart computer

Regedit32

Reaction score
Something else to try, if the above does not make any difference:
  • Right-click on Start and select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  • Click Yes when prompted by the User Account Control
  • At the prompt type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic

Press Enter to execute

When the Hardware and Devices dialog opens click Next and follow prompts

Reaction score
When you go into Device Manager and right-click on the device ( in this case, the HID ) you select Properties.

Now select the Driver tab, where you may have the option to click Roll Back Driver
Definitely try this. I've had Windows Update replace my touchscreen driver with the wrong one on my older tablet.

Reaction score
Definitely try this. I've had Windows Update replace my touchscreen driver with the wrong one on my older tablet.
Something else to try, if the above does not make any difference:
  • Right-click on Start and select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
  • Click Yes when prompted by the User Account Control
  • At the prompt type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic

Press Enter to execute

When the Hardware and Devices dialog opens click Next and follow prompts
ok, it says unknown usb device has error, and then I click on that, and it says "troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem"

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you open Device manager and expand the USB Serial Bus Controllers, you could right-click on the entry with the yellow warning symbol and select Uninstall, then restart computer to see whether it can detect the final item and set it up for you.

If you know the specifications of your computer you could probably work out what that missing USB entry is supposed to be as well.

The Error 43 can be caused is hardware is damaged, but its more often caused because of a missing or corrupted driver that runs the particular hardware itself. You should be able to obtain all the drivers from HP's website if your search your model. Just make sure you select the correct architecture ( 32-bit or 64-bit ) for the Windows OS you are running,

Reaction score
i've tried that already on the uninstall.. no luck.. still yellow flag...and did you mean toshiba when you put hp?I have also, completely reinstalled windows....if so, how could something be corrupt?... wouldn't other people with same computer have same issue with this?

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes sorry, I did mean Toshiba.

I'm thinking you could download the drivers from Toshiba's site that affect all USB ports and re-install them.

If you've already done this, and its not making any difference, then possibly a connector inside the computer has become loose, or the cable itself has been damaged which could also cause that error 43 issue.

Power Management can result in the same issue if the necessary USB connection is turned off to save power. Given you have reinstalled Windows it would be worth checking the power management plan for your computer to see whether there are any settings that need adjusting in relation to your HID Compliant Touch Screen, given if power to was turned off then obviously it is not going to work. Normally, though it'd detect any movement and turn on again, but perhaps the software that manages this is at fault. That software ought to be available on Toshiba's site too, so reinstalling this might make a difference.

Reaction score
Ok, I will go to toshiba a look for usb drivers..but since you mentioned perhaps some wires being loose I guess that could be possible due the the fact that I opened it up to remove a dusty loud fan but then carefully reinstalled it. It could be possible that something is loose. I already did check this out but will look one more time.. thanks you..I appreciate your help

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything in the list of drivers for usb.... well, let me ask this : If the problem is actual hardware, is it possible to fix and worth it to fix?...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Try the latest nVidia Display Driver as the touch screen options are built in to that based on the specifications for your computer.

While you're at it you might want to grab the Intel Chipset Software Utility drivers too.

Reaction score
Try the latest nVidia Display Driver as the touch screen options are built in to that based on the specifications for your computer.

While you're at it you might want to grab the Intel Chipset Software Utility drivers too.
ok, I'm downloading that now, .. hope it works-,.. darn,it didn't work...oh well, I 'm not sure if there is anything left to do.. but I thank you for trying

Last edited:

Ask a Question