Toshiba Satellite Battery

Reaction score
O.k.....Got a Toshiba Satellite that won't recognise it's battery, the power chord/charger is working ok. when I place a fully charged battery into the laptop, it won't recognise it either.....anyone know why ?

Reaction score
Hi, It's an official Toshiba battery, It's a Toshiba Satelitte Pro C830, the problem is it has not been switched on for about 3 years, so hardly surprising, it works ok by just using the power chord, but won't work with the battery installed, unless you put the battery in AFTER it is switched on.....busy updating it at the moment to latest version of W10, and just looking at updating the BIOS.......I can understand it not charging after all that time, but not why it won't recognise a fully charged battery......

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok.....been into the BIOS menu...Power Management.......the settings are exactly the same as the laptop that is working correctly....at a loss as to what to do next.......one thing that is different, the one that's working correctly has the three lights on the front......L/R white white red....the one that's not working correctly has L/R red white red........

Reaction score
Hi Del,

you could try installing the defect battery and then run it down to exhaust the power, then recharge it and do the same again a couple of times, that might solve the problem but I am not certain???. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for that, my only concern is that if the laptop is not recognising the battery, then will it even charge it.....I would buy a new battery, but not sure that would cure the problem........

Reaction score
Another thought is to clean both the contacts on the battery and in the battery housing with a dry toothbrush type head!. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie, just done that.......someone has suggested that these Lithium-Ion batteries have a built in "memory" that shuts them down if they are completely discharged for any length of time, which I can understand.......but that don't explain it not recognising a fully charged battery.....very strange.....

Reaction score
Hi Del,

1. Try leaving the battery on the charger for 24 hours.

2. Try inserting the defective battery without the charger cable attached and starting the laptop, if it doesn't start, press and hold the power button for at least a minute until it is shut down, then remove the battery and reboot using the power cable, shut it down again, unplug the power cable and press and hold the power for a minute again, replace the battery without the power cable plugged in and try and start the laptop again!.

I have no idea if this will work?????. :)

Reaction score
press and hold the power button for at least a minute until it is shut down
I actually meant to say that if there was any small amount of charge in the battery, it would need to be discharged before removing it!. :)

Reaction score
How are you checking that it is fully charged.. Not mentioned, but, if the battery is also 3 years old, perhaps, although the charger goes into neutral state, it is a false reading as it is unable to charge further - Just a thought.

Reaction score
Dave, It is not charging at all, I have had it on charge all night, or at least I thought that I had.......this is the weird thing......I can start the laptop up WITHOUT the battery and it works fine.....put the battery in while it's running on power chord, and everything still works.....pull the power chord out and it dies....while the battery is in, the red light flashes all the time, and it says "battery not detected"....presumably if it can't detect it, then it can't charge it, all very strange, it also won't detect the fully charged battery from my other, identical laptop......

Reaction score
Almost certainly a battery failure then. But, do you have a (friendly :() electronic shop nearby, where perhaps the laptop could be tried with a known good battery. But if you have another identical laptop, could you try the battery from that one? That would be a positive indication that it IS the battery, and not an internal electronic fault.

Reaction score
Gotta be a dead battery Dave, but I still don't understand why it won't recognise my other battery, which is 100 % charged......

Reaction score
Ok . With you now. The fully charged working battery is from your other Laptop.

When Windows 10 is finally installed, what picture, if any, do you have for the battery icon
1598347690544.png

I would also suggest that you get a little cleaning spirit and clean up each end of the battery container (Where the contacts are sitting) They may have got some mould on them which is insulating the laptop from the battery

Reaction score
It has the battery icon Dave, with the power chord beside it, like in your pic. but it says "battery not detected"......Wolfie suggested cleaning the contacts, which I have done, but makes no difference.....just had the bottom cover off, where the RAM goes, and I see that there is another, small round Li-Ion battery in there, could it be anything to do with that ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
As it is a new installation of Windows 10, this is unlikely, but.
Open the Device manger and select the battery. Right click the second item "Microsoft ACpi-etc.." and see if it can update it.

Reaction score
Ok , done that, have checked the driver, it says it has the latest, but have updated it anyway......still the same......I see that the small battery is just for the clock and date, you learn something every day......

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am sorry, but the only logical next step is to consider a motherboard connection problem. If it were I, I would strip the whole machine and clean up as much as i could.

Reaction score
Yes, think you are right, it's highly unlikely that I will ever use the thing, as I have two others, but I do like a challenge !!

Ask a Question