TPM modules

Reaction score
I have three desk top motherboards from two different manufacturers. Gigabyte, Aorus( which is Gigabyte) and Asus. They all have a TPM module socket. All the sockets are different. NONE of the manuals that come with the boards give a part number to try to order the correct module.

The differences in the modules are which of the 14 pins is blocked out. The MOST annoying thing is that every other connector on each of these board is compatible with the other boards.

So anyone who wants to get a TPM module to legally run W11 when it comes out should take note.

Reaction score
I have three desk top motherboards from two different manufacturers. Gigabyte, Aorus( which is Gigabyte) and Asus. They all have a TPM module socket. All the sockets are different. NONE of the manuals that come with the boards give a part number to try to order the correct module.

The differences in the modules are which of the 14 pins is blocked out. The MOST annoying thing is that every other connector on each of these board is compatible with the other boards.

So anyone who wants to get a TPM module to legally run W11 when it comes out should take note.
you can search by motherboard I think. Most computers come with them.

Reaction score
I have three desk top motherboards from two different manufacturers. Gigabyte,cAorus( which is Gigabyte) and Asus. They all have a TPM module socket. All the sockets are different. NONE of the manuals that come with the boards give a part number to try to order the correct module.

Before going through the trouble of tracking down a TPM module, be sure it's the only thing not meeting requirements. You need a UEFI 'bios', you need Secure Boot, and you need an 8th gen Intel processor (or Ryzen 2). There is some chance that the CPU requirement might be lowered to 7th gen, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you were already an Insider on June 24th, they relaxed the TPM and CPU requirements, until general availability of Win11 (October some time?), and you will need to clean install Win10. Unless the requirements are lowered somewhat. But as the requirements stand now, I would be kicked out of flighting for Win11 - I run 7th gen Intel. I won't actually have to reinstall anything, since I dual boot this machine with Win10, which is my main 'daily driver'.

Reaction score
Yes. My ancient I7 2600 machine and my nearly as ancient Lenovo laptop were both in the Insider program and both got W11 with warnings that they will not run production w11.

My other two machines now fulfil all the requirements. One of them is now W11 and the other will stay W10 as my daily driver.

Reaction score
If you have a Ryzen 3xxx, 4xxx or 5xxx processor there is an AMD firmware TPM option that can be turned on in the BIOS which means you don't need a discrete TPM. I am using it now on Windows 11. In my BIOS, it is called AMD fTPM. This may be available on other Ryzen processors, but I can't tell you which ones other than the ones I listed in the first sentence.

Reaction score
Here's a question that I doubt has ever been asked before on this Forum. Which processor would you go with - Ryzen 5800 or the Intel I7 - 10th generation, when buying a new Laptop?
And then again, should one even bother to buy a new machine when the Laptop one is using is working flawlessly? What is your advice?

Reaction score
Well there ya go! One question and I've got everyone stumped! Leave it to me to ask such a profound question that no one can or dares to answer. Very well done!

Reaction score
Well there ya go! One question and I've got everyone stumped! Leave it to me to ask such a profound question that no one can or dares to answer. Very well done!
Lawrence~

Much of what is bought computer wise .. has ALOT to do with personal preference... and what the intended USE the computer is for.

It is for … gaming and wanting to play the NEWEST and potential Future new Games ?? i.e. 'future proofing' your system.
Is it for … General browsing, email and/or office work ??

For instance .. for me I have the following self built desktop system(YES I'm well aware its 'older-ish' components but it serves MY purpose)

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit(fully updated)
CPU
Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.30GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-A (SOCKET 1150) ('technically' NOT 'made' for windows10 according to the Manufacturer, when I bought it I had Windows 7 originally, then went to Win 8 then win 8 pro then migrated to Win 10 Pro and worked fairly flawlessly other than some 'tweaks' , but its stable and it works.)
Graphics
E291-A1 (1360x768@60Hz) (monitor)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (ZOTAC International)
Storage
931GB Crucial CT1000BX500SSD1 (SATA (SSD)) (external drive)
931GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0748 USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) (internal drive)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
Audio
SB Recon3D PCIe

I DONT do a lot of major gaming and I CAN run SOME(very small handful) modern games if I fiddle with setting and such in game. As well as IF I'm interested in the game. I do mostly web browsing, email, some home/office work, voice and video chat and remote computer help.

Another thing to POTENTIALLY consider, IF its something your worried about, is the Windows 11 requirements .. I Personally AM NOT at this point due to the fact that I DON'T plan on updating to Win11 (Win 10 is supported at least till 2025 if I've read correctly) right away and the fact that the 'requirements' MAY very well change as time goes on.
Again its just a matter of WHAT you intend to do with the computer and what your budget is.

MY personal opinion, is if, at this point, the computer is doing what you want it to do (working flawlessly). I'd wait until you NEED to upgrade.

Just some thoughts to consider.
Best of Luck.
~LoneWolf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Perfect! Thank you for that response which is very informative. I don't do any gaming and am using an 8 year old ASUS rog laptop with an ssd and 16 gigs of sheep, pardon me, I mean ram.
Someone said 'if it ain't broke, you're not trying'. That possibly could be true. The only thing that is pushing me near the edge is that I've replaced the battery with an original ASUS battery but it has these spells where it will flash a beautiful orange and green. I've tried all to overcome that but to no avail. Now what I do, is when it starts that, I'll let the battery drain and hold down the power button for a minute or so and that fixes it for a few days.
But other than that, all is working within normal parameters. So I'll probably stay with this machine unless it suddenly catches on fire or just explodes.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reaction score
Lawrence~

Your quite welcome for the advice. always glad to help when and if I can :)

The flashing orange and green, that you mentioned, COULD potentially be one of two things :

1) Display Driver issue, or settings therein.
OR
2) There is an issue with the display itself (hardware connection, display going bad, etc.)

For #1 .. EVEN THOUGH its a pre built system (Asus in your case) .. you MAY WANT TO .. generally.. go to the the the Manufacturer of the VIDEO CHIPSET SPECIFICALLY, if its separate from the computer manufacturer … which it SHOULD BE … and get drivers from them.

Be it AMD .. or Nvidia or whatever company made the VIDEO CHIP SET …that way you are A BIT more guaranteed that you have the most recent drivers for your specific Video chip.. many of them SHOULD be able to provide you with QUITE specific drivers for your Video Chipset or, if it falls within a certain 'group' of chips that would work as well.. either within their specific software (in the case of Nvidia its GeForce experience which I have had very INFREQUENT problems with in all the years I have used it (I know AMD has similar software but I'm not exactly sure what its called) for the chip or other wise.

I DO NOT recommend using Windows updates for Hardware DRIVER SPECIFIC potential issues .. go to the SOURCE for drivers … they are usually your best bet to attempt to solve issues with specific hard ware .

If you would like any more assistance .. feel free to contact .. and ill do what I can to assist you

Best of luck :)

~LoneWolf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info. Though I've used computers for years, I still am a novice when it comes to the technicalities.
You said the following -
"The flashing orange and green, that you mentioned, COULD potentially be one of two things :

1) Display Driver issue, or settings therein.
OR
2) There is an issue with the display itself (hardware connection, display going bad, etc." (end quote)

Is it in the Device Manager where one finds the Display Driver and what is it called specifically? If I remember correctly, I uninstalled the Drivers under Batteries and of course rebooted in order to have them installed again. But if you have something else in mind and if it's simple for me to do, let me know.

Secondly, when you say there could be an issue with the hardware connection, do you mean the charger that plugs into this laptop? And when you say about the display going bad, are you referring to the screen itself?

When you get a moment, I'll appreciate hearing back from you. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reaction score
Lawrence~

I looked up some info about ASUS Rog laptops.. and found that some(quite a few) have a 'lighted' keyboard ..

My question is .. is your one of those types ?? and is THAT (the keyboard) is what flashes orange and green. Is the flashing RANDOM.. or only when certain things happen (gaming or other activity ) or is it the display/screen itself that flashes ??? Knowing which is happening and when it happens will HELP diagnose the issue.

And if you could also supply some more info to help better such as SPECIFIC... ASUS ROG model..

As far as hardware connectin... I'm referring to the INTERNAL connections inside the laptop itself ... which DO go bad overtime .. not very frequently but they CAN cause issues...

As far as the video chip is concerned. Let's figure out WHAT is flashing .. screen or keyboard and we can go from there.

I am going out of town in the next day or so.. so I MAY not answer until, or after, the weekend time.

Please expect delays /responses. but i WILL respond when I get back or I may respond before I leave just depends on the time frame ...

Sincerely,
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
The ASUS is G750JW. This does have a lit keyboard but it isn't the keyboard itself that flashes. Right at the forefront of the keyboard (on the outer edge of where one lays the hands) are five lights, for example a light for the hard drive, another for Internet connection and then of course the battery. It is this one which will randomly flash. It can happen at any time. I can leave the computer for several hours and initially the battery light will be solid green and coming back, I can find it flashing the orange and green. Nothing will stop it from flashing unless I shut the computer completely down and hold down the power button for a minute or so.
Honestly, I'm questioning whether this happens at all while the computer is in use and if so, I don't remember. I have found it flashing when I walk away from the unit & before it kicks into sleep mode.
Sometimes, after holding down the power button, it will be several days before it flashes again. Other times, it can be a few hours.
I'll leave this with you and when you get back, you can check into it when convenient for you. Thank you again.

Reaction score
Lawrence~

Thank you kindly for the additional information ... much appreciated...

As far as the blinking LED lights you are talking about lights you are speaking about ...this is what I have found out in my research and my experience with laptops and desktops.

Hard drive Light randomly blinking.. normal... when there is Hard Drive activity (whether a REGULAR non SSD, or an SSD) the Hard drive light will/can blink as an indicator that there is in fact activity to the hard drive and is a normal part of operation.. desktop computers CAN and WILL do the same as well if its configured or connected as such and if it's available to do as such.

Internet/ethernet light blinking when hard wired OR wireless ... also normal for the same reasons as Harddrive light blinking.

Battery or power light blinking: this is where it gets kinda 'funky' so to speak.. since you have already said you HAVE replaced the battery with what I would assume is a KNOWN GOOD battery from ASUS(or a third party) , the 'calibration' COULD be 'off' and could be misreporting things between your computer and the blinking LED ..

There are multiple ways to go about TRYING to troubleshoot or solve this...

Try to make sure your battery is indicated at FULL, or mostly(above at least 80 %) full charge, when doing any of the following as there are steps that require battery power only.. there is no right or wrong way to do these steps or any particular order .. whichever way you feel comfortable doing them.

1) COMPLETELY turn off/power down the computer... remove the battery and leave it out.. and then plug in the power ONLY and then power it back on using the laptop for a bit .... if the power light STILL blinks randomly or the computer randomly shuts/powers itself down with power only.. then it can be indicative of 2 things, a faulty power cord OR a faulty plug..in the computer itself.

The former of the two is an easy fix with a replacement power cord which can be gotten from ASUS or Amazon if you get it from either ,. make SURE it has the right specifications as the original power supply.

The specifications of what you would need can be found either on a label on the 'brick' of the power supply OR contacting ASUS themselves directly and finding out the specifications you would need.

The latter of which is a fault possibly in the computer itself and will require repair or potentially a full laptop or laptop mainboard replacement...dependant on what your budget allows. OR for random shutdowns with power only.. it COULD also be a power setting within windows itself ... I would check those as well while connected to power and make sure those are set to REMAIN ON when connected to power .. if that is set correctly then that will point to a power issue of some sort that mentioned about above.

2) Do the SAME process as above (power down completely and remove the battery) the difference here is you want to press and hold the power button with NO POWER at all being supplied at all to the laptop... for ABOUT 30 seconds to a minute, at most. The lights MAY blink quickly doing this .. this is NORMAL...then reinsert the battery and boot normally with ONLY the battery. This process NORMALLY discharges any residual power from the laptop and essentially boots 'fresh' and COULD reset the calibration that the computer senses.

3) With the battery removed and just running on straight power .. boot the system.. then look within device manager .. for anything that mentions battery right click it and remove or uninstall (don't disable) ALL ENTRIES one by one, if the entries DON'T(which they should) show with the battery removed then do it with the battery inserted AND with power plugged in ... DON'T reboot the system between each removal (there SHOULD be about 3 entries). After all Battery items are removed/uninstalled from Device Manager .. power the system down completely. Reinsert the battery. Restart the system. With the battery reinserted and power plugged back in . You more than likely will see prompts/pop-ups to reinstall things regarding the battery. Follow the prompts/popups to do as such. After that go back into device manager and have it search for hardware changes. If it finds any let it install what it requests.

There IS another option software-wise within windows using the command line prompt to be able to see the health of your battery.. but that's another thing altogether and IF need be we can get into that if the above steps don't help.

I know it's A LOT of information to take in at once, but, those are the ways I have researched and found, as well as, personal experience with battery issues with Laptops. MIND YOU ... they are not ALWAYS a 100% guarantee .. but they help to diagnose and narrow down the potential problems.

Best of luck.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Lawrence~

Not a problem helping out when and if a can :)

Also, YOU DONT have to run it without the battery for an extended set of time...

All the steps I outlined above should happen in sequence automatically ...if you follow them the right way.

No need to keep the battery out for an extended (days or hours) period of time... if it seemed I suggested as such in my writing I do apologize .. was not intended.

Have a good day. And Good Luck.
~LoneWolf

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi again. After coming in here late last night, the beautiful orange and green light was flashing again. So I've moved onto # 3. There were two things for me to uninstall under Battery which are as follows -
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery
When I rebooted, they automatically replaced themselves.
To be truthful, I think I've done this procedure before but let's see what happens. I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Hello Lawrence~

Was the POWER light blinking or did the computer randomly shut down when you were running on power ONLY with no battery installed in the laptop ???

As far as the things you removed in device manager YES those were the right ones and the fact that they reinstalled themselves is a GOOD thing ..

Did you attempt the 'discharge' that I mentioned in #2 to see if that may have helped ??

If, after all the steps I mentioned above don't help .. there is ONE MORE aspect we can do, with the windows command prompt, to check the 'health' of the battery and see IF that MAY be a cause for the issue. OR it COULD be something in your power settings within widows itself that's causing the issue .. but that's not GENERALLY likely.

Best of luck.
~LoneWolf

Reaction score
The laptop did not shut down with the battery removed. When I put it back in and left it for a while & in sleep mode, I found it blinking when I came back in. Also, it has started blinking out of sleep mode in the past.
I also discharged after taking the battery out.
Presently, I have the powercord unplugged and running only in battery power. I did that earlier today because of the weather, so in a while, I'll plug it back in and let you know how things go.
Thanks for keeping up on this.

Reaction score
Here's the latest update. I just came in and found the orange and green light flashing again. The laptop was in sleep mode. Bringing it out of sleep and the flashing orange and green stops. But it will only be a matter of hours and it will be flashing again and remain flashing until I do what I've been doing before.
When you get time, you can guide me through how to check the health of the battery. Thank you again for your efforts and help.

Ask a Question