Transfer win10 to new machine

Reaction score
I want to build a new pc ready for win11 and would need to transfer win10 to it prior to the upgrade later this year. I will be using the same ssd drive that has the os on it. I read you can only transfer the licence if it’s a retail version. I was pretty sure many years ago I installed windows on an OEM licence. However when I checked using the command prompt it says RETAIL channel but it doesn’t say Window 10 just Windows Core edition. Will windows run if I just change the ssd to a new pc? Thanks

Reaction score
ok first, your current machine must use a microsoft acct to login. Then you get the other machine all set with win 10 installed and call microsoft. They can transfer it to the new machine and deactivate the original one. Option 2 is get an old windows 7 COA for the version you want, Home or Pro and you can activate windows 10 with that. I've bought scrap laptops for $10 just for the sticker. one day I was at the place I sell my scrap metal and a gut had a cart loaded with computers and I gave him $10 to let me take a picture of all the stickers.

Ask a Question