Trouble With Printing

RBC

Reaction score
I have a HP Envy x360 Windows 10, 64-bit. I have tried mostly unsuccessfully to print via USB cable to my Epson Stylus RX580, even after going to Settings to install the printer and downloading and installing drivers. When I attempt to print, I get an error message, sometimes saying the printer is offline. I have gone into print queue and made sure the "use printer offline" option is unchecked, setting the printer as default, run the troubleshooter, turned the printer off and on, restarted the laptop, and none of this fixes the problem. I also have a Dell desktop with Windows 10 from which I am able to print using the same device. Any advice?!

Reaction score
I've never had full success in installing printers from Add a Printer in Settings, worked best to use the companies software package to do it. A couple of things, some printers don't work with USB 3 ports when they will with USB 2 ports and some install routines REQUIRE not connecting the USB cable until prompted by the process [which could be missed by the Add a Printer]. One that drove me crazy for awhile as an HP printer and HP computer combo that would lost communication with each other after printing half a page, turned out it was those USB ports, good on USB 3. Power Options should also be checked, sometimes the power to the ports gets turned off.

RBC

Reaction score
Are you using the same USB printer cable when connecting the Epson printer to the Dell Desktop and the HP Envy?
Have you tried all the USB ports on the HP?
Have you installed the full software package on the HP?
Are you using the same USB printer cable when connecting the Epson printer to the Dell Desktop and the HP Envy?
Yes, I'm using the same USB cable from the printer that I used on my Dell desktop. Also tried both USB ports on the HP laptop. Both ports work fine for flash drives, wireless mouse, and charging my headphones. I didn't try to install the printer software from the DVD onto the laptop - wasn't necessary when I connected my desktop, and most online guidance says you don't have to. I suppose I'll try that next.

RBC

Reaction score
I've never had full success in installing printers from Add a Printer in Settings, worked best to use the companies software package to do it. A couple of things, some printers don't work with USB 3 ports when they will with USB 2 ports and some install routines REQUIRE not connecting the USB cable until prompted by the process [which could be missed by the Add a Printer]. One that drove me crazy for awhile as an HP printer and HP computer combo that would lost communication with each other after printing half a page, turned out it was those USB ports, good on USB 3. Power Options should also be checked, sometimes the power to the ports gets turned off.
Thanks I'll try installing the printer software. Not sure what to do about USB 2.0 vs 3.0 ports. Hard to believe it's so easy connecting a new desktop to the printer but so hard making the HP laptop talk to the same printer.

Reaction score
Probably i can be USB cable issue. Sometimes printers are work only with same manufacturer made cables.
But seldom do printers come with the USB cable, even back with the LPT/Parallel Port printers the 25-conductor cables weren't included.

Ask a Question