SOLVED Unable to print from laptop

Reaction score
Whenever I try to print anything to my wireless printer, I get the following error message:

"splwow64.exe - ordinal not found".

Regedit32

Reaction score
What model Printer are you using?

Also, are you running any third party antivirus or firewall applications? If yes, what are they?

I have a tentative solution in mind, but given its got a few steps for you to do, it'd help to know the answers to above question before getting you to try the idea in mind.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
What model Printer are you using?

Also, are you running any third party antivirus or firewall applications? If yes, what are they?

I have a tentative solution in mind, but given its got a few steps for you to do, it'd help to know the answers to above question before getting you to try the idea in mind.

Regards,

Regedit32
I am only running Windows Defender and the firewall built into windows 10.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK then here is a set of manual steps you can take that ought to resolve this issue for you.
  • Press your Windows key + R together to open your run dialog
  • In the run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • When the User Account Control prompts you click Yes
  • Now on the left pane of the Registry Editor you need to expand the hives to this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— SYSTEM
— CurrentControlSet
— Control
— Print
— Environments
— Windows x64
— Drivers
Version-3
  • Again on left pane of Registry Editor click to expand the Version-3 hive, then right-click on each of the sub-hives for Version-3 and select Delete.
  • Once each of the sub-hives are deleted, press F5 key then close the Registry Editor
  • Next press your Windows key + S together to give focus to your search field
  • In the search field type command
  • In the search results locate and right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When the User Account Control prompts you click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
net stop spooler

Press your Enter key to execute above command then minimize the Administrator: Command Prompt window to your taskbar
  • Now open your File Explorer
  • Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\printers\ and delete any files there
  • Next still in File Explorer you want to navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3
  • Inside the 3 directory you need delete all the files present and also all the sub-directories (folders) present
  • Close the File Explorer
  • Now maximize the Administrator: Command Prompt window again
  • In this window type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
net start spooler

Press your Enter key to execute the above command, then type exit and press Enter key to close the window.​
  • Finally, close any other open applications and restart your computer
  • After restarting, right-click on Start and select Settings
  • In the Windows Settings window select Devices
  • On the left side select Printers & Scanners then if needed click Add a printer or scanner to set up your wireless printer again.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you - That worked to solve the problem. I thought it might have been caused by a recent windows insider update.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you - That worked to solve the problem. I thought it might have been caused by a recent windows insider update.

Thanks, I am glad you got your printer working with your Wireless device.

It is possible an update is what triggered the issue, as one of your updates may have modified a driver or perhaps a System file.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question