Unable to start Windows Firewall

Reaction score
I first noticed the problem about two weeks ago. Every time I restart my laptop I receive a message that Windows Firewall is turned off. I'm given the option to turn it back with a "Click here" option. But that does nothing. I also noticed that the Windows antivirus icon that is always in my taskbar is no longer visible.
I went into Windows security to turn on the firewall manually, but no matter what I attempt I get no response. It's locked in Off. I went into Services, and under description every service description reads "Failed to read description. Error code 2"
What's going on? I have my hammer at my side. What do I hit first?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically caused by.....
Malware, scan the system with https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/ (free 14 day trial)
Or
Third party security software, uninstall it. Normally using the Programs and Features applet in Control Panel
Followed by the manufacturer's proprietary removal tool.
OR
Attempt an in-place upgrade repair.
Obtain the latest ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Using the Media Creation Tool. After you save that ISO to your computer double click it to mount it and run setup.exe from there.

Normally, this is a non-destructive process that preserves existing programs, drivers and configuration, however...
I would still strongly recommend backing up all critical data to safe external storage as well as creating a complete disk image so as to have a fall back option if something unintended should happen.

Reaction score
I thought it was malware related, also. But a full scan with Zone Alarm, Malwarebytes, and Windows anti-virus program all came up empty.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Zone Alarm??
Seems I recall a firewall component.
As well as no small amount of issues with various networking and sharing scenarios if not configured correctly, as well as being one of the most difficult products I've ever tried to uninstall, it seems to leave remnants and residual settings even after an uninstall.

Reaction score
many times if a program is running all the time, you have to use control + Alt + Delete find the program and END. it might take more than 1 end click to end that program.... do not close window, open 2 window and delete the program.... you also might try.
msconfig as admin move to safe boot, set and then boot, this will also allow you to uninstall - delete many program ,
It is also advisable to run all you other programs from a WinPE Boot disk, I have one that I use when this happens..
WinPE10_8_Sergei_Strelec_x86_x64_2019.10.02

Reaction score
I use a WinPE Boot USB, then use recommended methods to clean/remove Malware and such from my Clients.

Ask a Question