Under Other in Device Manager

Reaction score
USB2.0-CRW has yellow mark and cannot find driver . Works on the same laptop when I boot Windows 8.1

Reaction score
Two things you can try:
  1. Uninstall the device listed and search for hardware changes. You may need a driver disk to setup the device.
  2. Check Windows Update for optional updates. You may need to set Windows Update to look for optional updates.
Beyond those two choices, you will need a driver disk to setup the device.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No information on the laptop.
No information on the problem device.
Since installing Windows 10 have you ran Windows Updates so everything in the OS is up to date?
Have you installed your laptop manufacturer's drivers for chipset, as well as any USB related device drivers from them?

Reaction score
No information on the laptop.
No information on the problem device.
Since installing Windows 10 have you ran Windows Updates so everything in the OS is up to date?
Have you installed your laptop manufacturer's drivers for chipset, as well as any USB related device drivers from them?
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device. All updates are current. I have no disk because the USB port is on the motherboard and it is the same motherboard and laptop on which I run windows 8.1 that has no yellow mark.
Why is it OK in 8.1 and not on 10?
Laptop is Dell Inspiron 7520, CPU is Intel i7, 8 GB memory. I dual boot between 8.1 and 10 because I use the laptop for teaching 8.1, In the Device manager the entry is Other and under that is USB2.0-CRW

Reaction score
Your manufacturer will have drivers for everything needing setup from a fresh install. You may not have a disk but you can make one from downloaded drivers. You laptop more than likely came preloaded with them already setup.

Besides must we ask, why one operating system is different than another as if there are no changes?

Reaction score
Your manufacturer will have drivers for everything needing setup from a fresh install. You may not have a disk but you can make one from downloaded drivers. You laptop more than likely came preloaded with them already setup.

Besides must we ask, why one operating system is different than another as if there are no changes?
OK, let me explain.

I used the laptop to teach Windows 8.1 at a non profit group. Originally, in 2012 it was bought with Windows 7 and upgraded or time to Windows 8.1. In order to prepare to teach Window 10, I created a new partition and did a clean install on that partition. Since the manufacturer never installed Windows 8, and there is no error in Windows 8, I assume that Windows 8 has the right driver distributed by Microsoft and therefore it also should be available as part of the operating system for Windows 10.

Reaction score
OK I understand now.
and therefore it also should be available as part of the operating system for Windows 10.
In your opinion though, at what point should old outdated software/drivers be cropped from an OS?

Try this driver - http://www.drivermax.com/driver-download/0/436978/USB-Compatible-USB-storage-device-USB2-0-CRW.exe

To avoid any confusion as to which link to click, I posted a direct link. If you wish, you can visit DriverMax's page I retrieved the link from. Or the Microsoft forum I found pointing to DriverMax.

Edit:
Better yet maybe you should go here
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-se-7520/drivers
The best I can tell it will be the Realtek RTS5179 Card Reader Driver you need.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use Dells, and, as Cliff says, you are looking for a Realtek card driver.

For your machine, I think you will find this one will work. Try it in compatibility mode for Windows 7

IF Cliff's link doesn't do the trick, try this:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5520/drivers

Look for
Realtek RTS5179 Card Reader DriverRealtek RTS5179 Card Reader Driver
P.S. Later.

You can also go straight to Dells home page:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/laptop?app=drivers

and put in your service tag - it should be on a lable somewhere on the base of the computer or, in some cases, under the battery. Dell will then do the hard work for you.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Originally, in 2012 it was bought with Windows 7 and upgraded or time to Windows 8.1
This was an upgrade.

In order to prepare to teach Window 10, I created a new partition and did a clean install on that partition
This was not.

Completely different environments with respect as to what might be available in the way of already "in place" drivers and how they may or may not work.
Additionally Windows 10 currently is not riding a particular favorable wave when it comes to how it handles drivers for some hardware products.

Ask a Question