Undiscoverable computer on workgroup network

Reaction score
Keep checking your settings win 10 is very particular and pain in the butt to get a Peer to Peer working. MS wants us to use Home group. Home group don't do it for me or you either. the issue is somewhere in your settings. Let me see if I can make some pictures of my set up.

I have seen these issues on various pc's, all on my lan, all windows 10, yet all can use a share you cannot see in the network list of pc's at some times, and others will require a fresh sign in to the shared pc to access, and it may or may not from time to time. The most common indicator of a forth coming issue is what shows in the file explorer for connected pc's on the network, yet sometimes the files can be shared. At no time when the pc's are shown, do any issues arrive, until some update or restart upsets the network connections. In that what I am saying, I leave them all running, and once working, till a MS upset or update, will stay working. This has no changes on the machines by me during this timeframe and it appears also that is you delay signing on - leaving at the startup - unsigned in page for a bit, and give background programs time to process and complete, then sign in, the problem is less likely to exist.
MS need to fix it, your work arounds may "update" the issue temporarily, but will not be a permanent solution in my mind unless a correction in the registry is where it needs to be.

Reaction score
I have seen these issues on various pc's, all on my lan, all windows 10, yet all can use a share you cannot see in the network list of pc's at some times, and others will require a fresh sign in to the shared pc to access, and it may or may not from time to time. The most common indicator of a forth coming issue is what shows in the file explorer for connected pc's on the network, yet sometimes the files can be shared. At no time when the pc's are shown, do any issues arrive, until some update or restart upsets the network connections. In that what I am saying, I leave them all running, and once working, till a MS upset or update, will stay working. This has no changes on the machines by me during this timeframe and it appears also that is you delay signing on - leaving at the startup - unsigned in page for a bit, and give background programs time to process and complete, then sign in, the problem is less likely to exist.
MS need to fix it, your work arounds may "update" the issue temporarily, but will not be a permanent solution in my mind unless a correction in the registry is where it needs to be.
Yes. I have been through unknown networks popping up without any infoas to where they may be coming from. I too have tried disabling the older protocols only to learn later some "important service" requires it for Windows to run "normally askew". Countless hours I have wasted with these kinds of errors and, excuse me by the way,...and a sincere"Thank you for your time reading this." MS does not care about our time attempting to fix their mistakes and I am loving Android PC more and more. WINDOWS 10 PC'S are not dead yet? I hated when MS gave up on my investments into Windows Phone products. Now seeing major Networks like ABC News pulling their support from Windows PC AppStore, you can bet you'll find them on Google Play. Bill Gates was my PC Santa Claus year round. I feel his absence and my inner child, just when I was ready to kill him off and grow him up... he now plays error free and unscathed on Android now. No... I don't have to grow up yet. Android is there and fits into my weekly allowance. Google Play gave me 2.00 USD dollars today and I bought the best app I have owned in years with it and I was able to keep a pretty penny to spare. My Samsung SM J327A Google/Android phone. User replaceable battery. No errors. Heavenly Skies is simply awesome. Graphics are using tilt sensors in phones now? Who knew?? This phone can be replaced for less than $100. No errors? Who knew and who is this new Santa?

Last edited:

MFL

Reaction score
8910 froze today. I keep it on 24/7, but no clicks worked when I first tried opening programs this morning. However, all the desktop icons and taskbar disappeared after I clicked on some icons, and it may have blue-screened. I had to use its power switch to shut it down. After I rebooted, 8910 started showing up in the network folder on the other networked computers!

Reaction score

Followup: One LAN card on a 2 in 1 pc had all it's Win 10 updates, but in Device manager, an update automatically was found for the ethernet chips, selected to install, and as a result, Win 10 Network then showed not only that PC but one other on the network file explorer list. During most of these times under a problem in the past and just prior to this fix things Teamviewer, Spiceworks, database access on the LAN by programs using shared folders all worked. Just Windows gremlins which in my opinion under the best efforts of MS will expand the Gremlins as well as the attack to fix them as the years, source code, issues, interactions, revisions, etc expand beyond human control. Maybe someday soon Windows will take over it's own growth and updates and expansion!

Ask a Question