Uninstall Powershell

Reaction score
I read on another forum of powershell being activated by some windows update, so this is not terribly new. There was a lot of deleting this and deleting that, and I was concerned about deleting the wrong thing. So I unchecked powershell in windows features, and shut down and booted up again. I didn't get the response that I wanted, so instead of going further. I'm asking is there a more simple way?

Reaction score
I guess you have done all you can. Users today have no control over updates. You can uninstall all apps and on the next update MS will re-install what they think we need. The cmd prompt will most likely disappear soon and Powershell will be the default.

Reaction score
Depends on what the goal is you are trying to achieve...
When windows 10 upated, the other day. It activated powershell, and I don't want it, I want the original menu. So how do I deactivate powershell, so that I get my windows 10 menu back again? Please.:(

Reaction score
Have you tried using settings.
Capture.PNG

Reaction score
I must not have a high end computer, because everyone seems to give me cryptic answers without answering the question. It's simple. windows activated powershell (I think) when it updated (apparently it does that from time to time). I want the original menu, not the powershell. How do I get my original menu back. This may not even be the problem. My windows key button used to pop up, to windows shutdown. Now I have to right click it, to shut it down.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First of all you started a new thread about the same topic, which can introduce some unnecessary confusion, so....
I merged your new thread with this (your ongoing thread) on the same topic.
I think everyone thought that you might be talking about "Powershell" as you mentioned it a couple times in your Original Post.
My windows key button used to pop up, to windows shutdown.
The "windows logo key" on your keyboard, when tapped, should produce the same "menu" as is produced by left clicking the "windows logo key" on the taskbar (bottom left of your screen.
So to clarify.... are you saying that you do not see the power button (framed in white and red in the image below) when you do either of those two actions.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
First of all you started a new thread about the same topic, which can introduce some unnecessary confusion, so....
I merged your new thread with this (your ongoing thread) on the same topic.
I think everyone thought that you might be talking about "Powershell" as you mentioned it a couple times in your Original Post.

The "windows logo key" on your keyboard, when tapped, should produce the same "menu" as is produced by left clicking the "windows logo key" on the taskbar (bottom left of your screen.
So to clarify.... are you saying that you do not see the power button (framed in white and red in the image below) when you do either of those two actions.

View attachment 8732

Reaction score
Okay Trouble. I should be able to click on the windows logo key, and get the menu that shows in your post. However when I click on the logo key I get nothing. When I right click on the logo, I get the (what I think is the powershell). It says so on one of the directional links, so I assume it's the powershell. Anyways, what I'm trying to do, is get that menu that shows in your post to appear. (I apologize for the confusion if it occurred. I thought I was being clear, and was expecting. Do this and do that. Instead I got pictures telling me to click here. Which made me think of a high end computer that could let me see that picture clearly, especially when I zoomed in.) :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There are various names for the menu produced from a right click of the start button....
Win+X menu (as it can be produced by holding the Windows logo key and striking the x key on your keyboard), Windows Power Users Menu, Context Menu and probably a couple others.
I've never heard it referred to as PowerShell menu.

The first thing I would suggest is that....
You check for any Updates to your current Windows 10 install
Right click the Start Button and choose "Settings" from the context menu
OR
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run" and in the Run dialog box type
ms-settings:
hit enter or click OK
Either should open the Settings window.
Choose the Update & security icon and then "Check for updates" button

Reaction score
There are various names for the menu produced from a right click of the start button....
Win+X menu (as it can be produced by holding the Windows logo key and striking the x key on your keyboard), Windows Power Users Menu, Context Menu and probably a couple others.

The first thing I would suggest is that....
You check for any Updates to your current Windows 10 install
Right click the Start Button and choose "Settings" from the context menu
OR
Right click the Start Button and choose "Run" and in the Run dialog box type
ms-settings:
hit enter or click OK
Either should open the Settings window.
Choose the Update & security icon and then "Check for updates" button

We can look on the bright side I guess. From now on whenever I say PowerShell Menu. You'll know what I mean.:D

I checked for Updates, and my last update was
a Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64 based Systems on June 12.. successfully
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64 based Systems on June 8 successfully
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package on May 25 successfully
and one other successfully

It started going wonky on June 12

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And when you manually click the button to "Check for updates" you are not offered anything more current??

IF it were me I would backup all my critical data including using something like https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?x-ca=blog
To create a full disk image of all existing partitions.
THEN....
I would go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
And use the Media Creation Tool to get the latest ISO available
And use that to perform an in-place upgrade by double clicking the ISO (once you have it saved to your computer) to mount it and then running Setup.exe from within your current install.
You are running a full version behind.

NOTE: If you are running any third party security software uninstall it before upgrading
AND
Disconnect any USB connected peripherals leaving only a USB connect mouse, a USB connected keyboard and the monitor.
No addon wireless dongles of any type.

That may very well fix your current issue and if it doesn't, at least we know that we're all on the same page comparing apples to apples.

Reaction score
And when you manually click the button to "Check for updates" you are not offered anything more current??

IF it were me I would backup all my critical data including using something like https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?x-ca=blog
To create a full disk image of all existing partitions.
THEN....
I would go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
And use the Media Creation Tool to get the latest ISO available
And use that to perform an in-place upgrade by double clicking the ISO (once you have it saved to your computer) to mount it and then running Setup.exe from within your current install.
You are running a full version behind.

NOTE: If you are running any third party security software uninstall it before upgrading
AND
Disconnect any USB connected peripherals leaving only a USB connect mouse, a USB connected keyboard and the monitor.
No addon wireless dongles of any type.

That may very well fix your current issue and if it doesn't, at least we know that we're all on the same page comparing apples to apples.

My bad! I gave you my update history, I didn't manually click on "check for updates" So here they are
Feature update for windows 10 version 1803 downloading...and installing
and Definition update for windows defender antivirus awaiting install...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.
That will bring you up to the latest version.
After which you will need to manually check for updates again in order to get that "version" updated to the latest "build"

Capture.PNG

Reaction score

We can look on the bright side I guess. From now on whenever I say PowerShell Menu. You'll know what I mean.:D

I checked for Updates, and my last update was
a Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64 based Systems on June 12.. successfully
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64 based Systems on June 8 successfully
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package on May 25 successfully
and one other successfully

It started going wonky on June 12
Right-clicking the Start button gives a lot of the same features as contained in Control Panel, just a different way of showing them. PowerShell replaces Command Prompt in the same menu. As usual the (Admin) part means to run it with administrative rights, more powerful than the other version.

Reaction score
I installed that update for version 1083, and everything worked. Unfortunately all my options, and all the screens on my menu are gone and I have to do them over again. But that's a rant for another day. :p.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear.
Make sure you check that now you have upgraded to 1803 you want to make sure you update that version to the latest build and catch any other updates that may be laying out there in the weeds.

NOTE: Before you convince yourself that your menu tiles are messed up, make sure to either give the Store time to update those apps or else open the store app and force the updates manually.

Ask a Question