Unwanted temp file generation

Reaction score
Recently, last month or so, when I close an MS excel file, I notice that a temp file is generated in the folder. What's going on? How do I stop this?

Any help would be appreciated,

Nienstein

Reaction score
If you're running a third party security suite then temporarily disable it and see whether that stops the temp file save? These temp files are normally deleted when MS Office closes, but if your security suite holds it open in order to scan it then it may get left behind.

Reaction score
It is a few years since I used Excel, but ,then, there was an option in the Tools to "disable recover" or something similar.

Whatever edition you are using, I feel sure the option, whilst possibly worded a little differently, is there ,under save perhaps

Reaction score
Also check any Autosave settings, might help to disable then re-enable.

Reaction score
Thank you, everyone. Before you had the chance to respond to me, and the speed of your response was greatly appreciated, I ran into another related problem. I could not eject my USB drive. So I had contacted SanDisk support and was provided with 3 options to try. I chose the easiest, (not necessarily the most convenient), I closed all open files and shut down the computer. That allowed me to remove the USB drive. After my computer was up and running again, I inserted my USB drive. There were no additional temp files.

Now I tried other USB drives I had and ran into the same ejection problem. I select the USB drive and then select EJECT from the drop-down. This does not work. Next, I selected the USB drive then selected the eject tool from the taskbar, this let me specifically select the USB drive I was using. No luck. In both cases, I was told some file(s) on the drive were still in use.

I now ask if anyone has thoughts on what is happening and how to fix it? This now seems to be a Windows problem and not a USB problem. As always, any help will be appreciated greatly.

Neinstein

Reaction score
The eject failure will have been because files were open on the drive. I still think this could be a third-party anti-virus tool holding the files open to scan them.....? It's pretty clear that something is holding them open, so try closing apps one at a time and seeing whether the USB drive can be ejected each time.

Reaction score
I had the problem on a previous OS.
The answer that worked for me, and might also get rid of a virus (if there is one?) Is to go into the control pane Device manager, and uninstall the USB device. It will be reinstated on restart, or when you choose to use it again.

Reaction score
Not solved. Still looking for the cause. If I find a cause, I will report what I found to the Forums.

Reaction score
Not solved. Still looking for the cause. If I find a cause, I will report what I found to the Forums.

Ask a Question