Unwanted Program Interactions

Reaction score
Good Morning! I very recently bought a new Dell desktop, running Windows 10 Home, which was installed by the manufacturer but moved from the HDD to an optionally purchased SSD by the shop where I bought the desktop.

I am now experiencing a couple of unwanted/unwelcome interactions between different software programs. I did not experience the same interactions with my previous desktop, which was also running Windows 10 Home.

1st: Interaction between VLC Media Player and the Line messaging app. Here is the scenario: the Line app is running, but is in the background. VLC is also running in the background, with a partially watched video. I have stopped VLC and am doing something else with the computer. Could be looking at CNN or working with MS Excel or some other program/activity. The third program/activity doesn't seem to be important. Problem: I receive a new Line message and VLC immediately starts to play the video. Note: Line is set up to send me an audio notification of the new message.

2nd: Interaction between MS Excel and Express Scribe. Express Scribe is a free transcribing app I am using to convert an audio recording to text. Express Scribe uses some F Key short-cuts to stop/pause/rewind/fast-forward the audio recording. Scenario: Express Scribe is open in the background. I am working on MS Excel, but the F Key functions will not work in MS Excel. When I shut-down Express Scribe, the F Key functions work normally in MS Excel.

How do I stop this unwanted interaction between different, seemingly unrelated, programs?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I'd surmise the issue is with 2 audio-playing/recording programs loaded whether actually running or not at the same time. Do you get the same issue with only 1 of the programs open at a time then change to the other one only?

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! I shut down VLC, but Express Scribe and MS Excel are still interacting in the way initially described. Then I shut down Express Scribe, opened VLC and ask a friend to send me a Line message. VLC and Line are still interacting in the way initially described.

Reaction score
Hi Randy,

do you have VLC set as the default player and if so, is that what you want?, check in Settings > Apps > Default apps and make changes if necessary!. :):):)

upload_2018-11-6_6-46-16.png

Reaction score
No idea, but, I wonder if turning off the Sync feature would help.

Setting - Accounts - Sync your settings.
Last item on the list Sync "other Windows Settings"

Reaction score
Hello Wolfie, thanks for the reply. Yes, VLC is my default media (video & music) player and yes, that is what I prefer.

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Dave, thanks for the reply. The sync feature was turned on, but has now been turned off. Turning it off has had no effect on the MS Excel / Express Scribe interaction. A helpful friend sent me a Line message and when both Line and VLC are in the background, the Line message starts VLC. Same as before.

That said, I checked to see what happens when Line is active on my screen. There is no notification and VLC does not start up. So the interaction is between VLC and Line's 'new message' notification. So I now know how to stop that interaction. One problem solved!

The MS Excel / Express Scribe interaction is still with me.

In truth, this remaining interaction is not a huge problem, but it seems to me that each individual program running in Windows 10 should be in its own little 'universe', unaffected by other programs.

Reaction score
In truth, this remaining interaction is not a huge problem, but it seems to me that each individual program running in Windows 10 should be in its own little 'universe', unaffected by other programs.
Hi Randy,

I think it might reflect when setting defaults for your apps but I am not sure?. :):):)

Reaction score
Hey Wolfie,

Thanks once again for your quick reply. I have already looked at the settings in the programs involved, but don't see anything that I think is connected with the problem.

Do you think it makes sense to wait a few days and see if anyone else has any ideas/suggestions?

Do you think I should contact Microsoft tech support?

Reaction score
OK! I shall wait a bit for additional input from this forum. If nothing, I will contact Microsoft.

Thanks for the link

Ask a Question