up grading my 5 year old lap top running Win 7 Professional

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I know Microsoft wants us to up grade which I did with a laptop 7 months old running Win8.1 thinking I could learn Win10 first. Well I did learn something, Win 10 has its quirks and have gone to many of you trying to fix issues with a new machine.
Is there a site to go too to see what will and will not work when I up graded the older machine?

Reaction score
The only place I could think of would be the OEMs site. Many times it depends on the devices on the system or possibly some specific software.

Being able to upgrade to Windows 10's latest build using just the License Key allows you an option of doing a clean install using a new hard drive on the system for testing. Your current install will not be effected so if the system has a problem it is easy to go back.

If the older system does upgrade normally, it might be fine. But it also may be limited by drivers not written expressly for that device.

Reaction score
Well id say go to the Windows 10 Upgrade program in the taskbar, click it, go into menu, and click check my pc. That will tell you if it will run it and what will and what wont work. Hope this helps

Ask a Question