upgrading ssd drive

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I bought a new HP PC with a 250 GB SSD and 2 TB hard drive, I would like to install a 500 GB SSD. I have created a copy of the Windows 10 ISO file on a DVD. After I install the new SSD drive do I just run the DVD disk or is there anything else I need to do to install Windows 10 on the new drive. I have all my files on the 2 TB hard drive. I just want Windows on the SSD. Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Presuming the SSD is C: and is the boot drive.

Clone the ssd onto the new one. Several free cloning stuff on the web I have used Paragon free version. You don't need a W10 ISO

Plug the new SSD into a spare SATA port. Run the cloning software. Unplug the old SSD which should be in SATA port zero and leave it unplugged. Plug the cloned drive into SATA zero and boot. Everything should be OK but C; will now have 250Gb more free space.

After that essential reboot you can, if you wish, plug the old drive into a spare SATA port and use Disk manager and reformat it and give it a new drive letter.

Reaction score
Does tha 250 GB SSD already have Windows installed?
If yes, why don't you clone the 250 GB SSD to the 500 GB SSD?

Reaction score
Yes, you can just clone OS drive to larger SSD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question