SOLVED Update error 0x8007042b

Reaction score
Hi folks.
win 10 version 1809 build 17763.864
tried to update feature update to win 10 version 1909 and after 3 plus hours I found I was back where I started.
on the update history it says last failed install attempt on 5\12\2019 - 0x8007042b
above that Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 (2)
and no other info. Up to then all was up to date
so any ideas please
BRUNOS

Regedit32

Reaction score
This may sound a little counter intuitive, but over the last few years of observing feature update issues, I've noticed that often the issue is not the New update , but rather the Currently installed edition of Windows 10 — in your case 1809, build 17763.864

This will take a little extra effort, but might well resolve your issue:
  1. Go to this Microsoft Update Catalog website listed below, and download the matching edition to your currently installed 1809 build:

(Note: This is a direct link to the 1809 build you said you have. If you currently have a different build, you'll need to search the Catalog for the correct downloads).

2. Install this again and choose to keep files and settings. If you want to be safe, backup any important files before reinstalling.

3. After successfully reinstalling your current build of Windows 10, go to the following Microsoft Website, and click the Update Now option to let Microsoft assist you in updating to the latest build of Windows 10:

The premise behind the method listed above, is that your Currently installed edition of Windows 10 is presently corrupted to a point that it prevents a successful update to the latest edition of Windows 10. Thus, by reinstalling your current edition, the plan here is to repair your current OS, to allow a successful update to the latest edition of Windows 10.

Your alternative, would be to open an elevated Command Prompt ( i.e. Run the Command prompt as Administrator ) and execute a series of commands to manually scan for errors and attempt to repair them. Commands like:
  • SFC /SCANNOW

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth followed by:

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Alternately, to this you could make use of a free tool provided by Microsoft that searches for issues, then pumps out a series of logs to help you identify the cause. That can be found at the following website:

Which ever method you choose to try, some additional things you can do to help prevent issues arising:
  • If there are any external thumb / SSD / Hard drives attached to computer, temporarily remove them while you update computer
  • If you are using a Third party Antivirus / Security suite, temporary disable it while you update your computer.

Note: If you only use the built in Windows Defender you can temporarily disable this by doing the following:
    • Right-click on Start and select Settings
    • Select Update & Security
    • On the left pane select Windows Security
    • On the right pane select Virus & threat protection
    • In the window that opens, beneath Virus & threat protection settings click Manage settings
    • In the window that opens toggle OFF the Real-Time Protection

After computer has updated and restarted Real-Time Protection ought to automatically toggle back on. However, you can double check by following the same steps, and if needed toggle ON the Real-Time Protection
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi again,
I think now I have gone through all the combinations you have suggested
and what I get now is
we couldn't install this update but you can try again
error 0x8000ffff
well no thanks, all I can say is thank goodness my main
comp is Linux
Many thanks for your efforts, time and expertise regedit32.
Bye all.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Question:

Are you able to open Microsoft Store? Or when attempting to open Microsoft Store, are you also getting an error message?

Ask a Question