Update fails in a loop...

Reaction score
My HP came with windows 7 and I agreed to update to windows 10 online :( . On my last update 10/02/2016 the screen went on a loop. I tried to restore thru usb boot I had created earlier and it kept on asking to choose for a keyboard while there is no mean to select or access any choice thru mouse or else...I went to old files and thought I had a boot option to windows 10 and it reinstalled 7 instead to factory settings .( I just don't know what to do and somewhere an offer was presented to me about buying a new copy of windows 10 for over one hundred dollars. I cannot afford it. The whole thing started with the latest update... Can anybody tell me if there is a way to retreive files and reinstall windows 10 without a copy of the program?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mario,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you updated to Windows 10 before the cut off date, which it sounds as if you did, then a digital license Microsoft store on their end belongs to you and the computer.

That means should you download the Media Creation tool, and from there the Windows 10 iso image that matches the one you had installed, i.e. Windows 10, the same language you chose for default, and the same architecture type (i.e. 32 or 64 bit), then you can install that again and it will automatically activate itself towards the end of the installation.

You can do that with either a DVD or a USB stick if you have one that is around 8GB in size.

The media creation tool and iso image can be downloaded on any working computer you have access to, just make sure you get the one that matches your broken computer.

You can get the tool and iso here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

As you are currently back to Factory version of Windows 7, you probably also have all the original drivers and other programs the computer came with when you first bought it. Before attempting to reinstall Windows 10, it'd be worth going through and updating drivers for Windows 7, and grab any security updates for programs installed.

That will help prevent issues when you later install Windows 10 again.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question