New 1709 Cumulative Update - KB4093105 Fails

Reaction score
Hi,

My system has tried to install this update 5 times now and keeps failing. Dell XPS 8930 with 1.0.9 BIOS. When it reboots, it says that it failed to install and rolls everything back. How when I look at the installed updates it says it was successful. Yet when I check the OS build, it did not update to the correct build. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Have you ever had a failure of an update before?

This did not seem to be a large update but it had quite a few fixes.

You might check for a setupact.log file with the correct entries for the date and time of the failure. You could also bring out a WindowsUpdate.log if you wanted.

Windows update troubleshooter a possibility for you?

Reaction score
I've run the troubleshooter three times. It fixes something, but the update still fails. I have not had any other updates fail before. Here is the windowsupdate.txt file and setupact.txt file. Suggestions pls.

Attachments

• WindowsUpdate.txt
    794.2 KB · Views: 996
  • setupact.txt
    685.6 KB · Views: 856
Reaction score
I will look at your Update log tomorrow but from the setupact.log I see the following. But the structure of the log is not what I am used to seeing. It just keeps showing 5 or 6 lines over and over again ending with the line below.

DPX Failed to get CorrelationVector option, hr=0x80070002

800700002 means the following. I don't know what CorrelatiionVector option are... Maybe something in the Update log will clarify this situation, possibly something in the registry.

ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
2 (0x2)

The system cannot find the file specified

Reaction score
I just finished looking through your update log. It does say the update installs but then tries to install it again.

Some things I have noticed.

You are showing the following where my system uses version .402 of the Update service.
WU client version 10.0.16299.248

This is something I do not show in my log, but I do not know if it is relevant. I do not show any failed messages regarding this but we both show several WUTaskManager uninit. I will try to research this.

*FAILED* [800706B5] WUTaskManager couldn't register scheduled start task
The error means:

RPC_S_UNKNOWN_IF
1717 (0x6B5)
The interface is unknown.

Other than the Windows Update server being a different, I can only conclude the system is not recognizing the install was completed.

Reaction score
I am also unable to install this update. Here is a complete account of what occurs:

Trying to install kb4093105 update and the install fails. It installs initially, then informs me it requires a reboot. Gets to 30% like normal before restart, shuts down. Restarts, gets to 96% and then says, " We couldn't complete the updates Undoing changes Don't turn off your computer". After a short period it reboots, this same message comes up again, then it will ultimately load into the OS. After which, Windows Update proceeds to download the update again and tell me I need to reboot. I checked the build of Windows after the update and can confirm it did not install.

I've ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter. I've tried clearing the Windows Update Cache. I've killed the entire Windows Update Folder and forced Windows to recreate the folder and contents from scratch thinking maybe there was something corrupted in there. Nothing seems to work. Other updates released this week installed without issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    896.4 KB · Views: 855
Reaction score
When an update fails, it should annotate that in the list of updates. If you click on that, does it tell you anything?

Both of you might try to download the update directly and install manually. The Microsoft update catalog is the best place to get it but searching for the KB number may give you some info.

Both of you have your systems plugged in, just in case?

Update failures can be caused by external devices so we suggest removing anything you can. This is not a large update so the drive free space is not as critical as a full build upgrade, but still be a factor.. Anti-virus software may interfere with an install.

Reaction score
It tells me it failed to update and gives the error 0x80070643.

I've checked error 0x80070643 as well since there are reports of a false negative with this error. However, my build is not updating to build 16299.402 as it should. I do not have access to that machine right this moment so I can't provide the current build but I double checked it to confirm last night and found the build was not updating.

I have downloaded the update directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog to my machine, ran it, and had the same results.

Machine has been plugged in throughout the process. I have not disconnected all external devices such as mouse/keyboard. There are no other devices connected to my computer other than monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I even disconnected all speakers. I have not attempted disabling the anti-virus but the only one I have is Windows built in defender.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Leonard Wesson, I was checking and realized the Update Client I am using is from the current CU. Since you seem to be using .248, that update was back in February. Do you show the multiple updates after February or are you skipping some of them.

@Shriekmau, the update error shown below would not seem to be helpful. I suppose the most logical possibility is a driver problem for some device. If that were the case, possibly doing the upgrade while you were offline might make a difference. Otherwise, I don't really know of a way to track it down. The last Setupact.log I saw seems to be inaccessible by users. You still have the option of using the Windows Update log but there are no guarantees it would actually show the problem.

ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE
1603 (0x643)

Fatal error during installation.

Reaction score
I will go into safe mode and attempt installing the file I have from the Windows Update Catalog. If that doesn't work I am going to re-image the machine.

Reaction score
Don't be in a big hurry, the build upgrade has not yet shown up on the servers. It might be due to this problem, maybe Microsoft will fix whatever it is.

Just some info, which might not be related, but today I got a Bios update for a machine which had not had one in two years. It was aimed at the Intel Microcode and reboot issue... You might check if you have a Bios update..

@Leonard Wesson, I am trying to see if you can update the Windows Update client. No luck so far, the troubleshooter is supposed to handle things like this.

Reaction score
Hello!

I have new Dell Alienware 17 and this update continues to fail. After an hour on the phone with Microsoft, they couldn't figure out what the problem was either and I'm suppose to be getting a call back this afternoon from Tier 2 support.

Reaction score
I don't think there is much more to mention as to what you can do to fix the problem. The troubleshooter should fix something or at least give you an idea of what might be wrong. When you disconnect external devices, don't forget to turn off such things as wireless printers. My three Dell systems installing this update and the one prior, KB4093112, all finished the update fine.

So, I will go back to the log files. There are two files in the Windows\Panther.img folder which is hidden. The setuperr.log may show an error when the problem occurred and give some type of reason. If nothing else, it might give you a clue as to the exact time of the fatal event leading to the install failure. Make note of that exact time.

The setupact.log is much longer and a log of the actual install. It will contain data over a long time period, so look for the date when the failed installs happened. There will also be a listing for each failure so you only need the latest one.

The last file is the Windows update log. You can get that log by opening an Admin PowerShell window and typing the command below. It also will contain listing from other times but in this case, seeing earlier successes may help show where the latest ones failed. When the command finishes the log should be on your desktop.

Get-WindowsUpdateLog

You can copy and past the relevant part of the log but remember to leave a couple of days prior to the failed updates.

If you want, zip the files and attach. Also, check the update history and see if any other updates have showed a failure. Checking these files to verify there is nothing you might consider personal is always a good idea.

If you want to check them yourselves, start from the bottom and search for "Fatal" or "error" and realize there may be several "Failed" entries which may not be relevant.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Saltgrass. I have two older Dells that updated fine too. I won’t be home from work until 3pm, but I’ll look for the files you mentioned and upload them here. Appreciate your help!

Reaction score
windows 10 1709 cumulative-update-kb4093105-failed. 9 times with error code 0x800F0922. The Widows update troubleshooter can not fix the issue

Reaction score
windows 10 1709 cumulative-update-kb4093105-failed. 9 times with error code 0x800F0922. The Widows update troubleshooter can not fix the issue
The only thing I can find out about that error is it may be a problem with a critical partition being full on your system or perhaps a .Net situation. If you are running a Legacy system with a System Reserved partition you might see how large it is..

Also, there were comments about network connectivity being involved.

Reaction score
@Leonard Wesson, I found a thread on the Microsoft site referencing the situation with the .248 version of the Windows Update Client. It was prior to this build but appears to be the same situation. Unfortunately, no solution was given.

I am not suggesting but I was wondering if removing that update (KB4074588) would force the system to update. But it does not seem to be showing as being able to be uninstalled. That update initially failed on my system once but installed later.

I just noticed something else, so just grabbing at straws. There are some lines in your Update log related to Sticky Notes. Do you know of any situation with those on your system?

Reaction score
@Leonard Wesson, I was checking and realized the Update Client I am using is from the current CU. Since you seem to be using .248, that update was back in February. Do you show the multiple updates after February or are you skipping some of them.

@Shriekmau, the update error shown below would not seem to be helpful. I suppose the most logical possibility is a driver problem for some device. If that were the case, possibly doing the upgrade while you were offline might make a difference. Otherwise, I don't really know of a way to track it down. The last Setupact.log I saw seems to be inaccessible by users. You still have the option of using the Windows Update log but there are no guarantees it would actually show the problem.

ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE
1603 (0x643)

Fatal error during installation.
Before I cleared the update cache, I checked an all updates had been installed.

Last night I did find that there was file corruption using sfc /scannow. I also had errors using chkdsk /f. DISM show errors, so I've ordered a USB stick so I can build a recovery drive to repair the windows image.

I've tried downloading the update and installing manual. Same results. I'm hoping repairing the image might fix this. Would be interesting for the others with this problem to run sfc and dism to see if they have problems also.

The update shows that it installed successfully, but OS build stays at .371 and it continues to want to reinstall. So I've placed windows update on pause for now. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem on my desktop but not my laptop.
I have tried sfc /scannow which found no errors.
I have tried the troubleshooter which found problems but fixed them except it still failed to install.

I have cleared the download folder and tried a manual installation but still no go.

I have looked at the log but nothing jumps out at me, a search for "fatal" produces no results and a search for "error" finds nothing I can see as significant.
I have not tried it with everything unplugged as those that have tried reported no success.

I do have a lenovo headset plugged in but no idea if that would be a problem as I have had it for a few months.

I have put update on hold for the time being so any help would be appreciated.

Ask a Question