New 1709 Cumulative Update - KB4093105 Fails

Reaction score
So the DISM command DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth did no good? And you did run SFC again afterward?

Yes, DISM could not repair the Windows Image. I'm going to make a recovery USB stick and then it should be able to repair it based on the research I've done. I've run SFC twice since then and it shows no errors. Had a coworker install the update today and it crashed his system to a non-bootable state. I'm not sure this update was really ready for release!

Reaction score
I see what was happening with the Update client version, mine was .248 until the update finished and it switched to .402. Since yours has not installed correctly, it is still using the older version.

Have you thought about attaching the setupact.log in the Windows\Panther.img folder? It might explain what was happening during the reboot period which is where the problem seems to be happening. The folder is hidden so check the box in Explorer to show hidden items.

The sticky notes references continue to show up in your Update log. Can you even run that utility or is there an update you could do independently? I see there is a Reset option on the Settings for the app. It states it will reinstalled. There is also an Uninstall but it will probably reinstall if you use that.

Reaction score
I see what was happening with the Update client version, mine was .248 until the update finished and it switched to .402. Since yours has not installed correctly, it is still using the older version.

Have you thought about attaching the setupact.log in the Windows\Panther.img folder? It might explain what was happening during the reboot period which is where the problem seems to be happening. The folder is hidden so check the box in Explorer to show hidden items.

The sticky notes references continue to show up in your Update log. Can you even run that utility or is there an update you could do independently? I see there is a Reset option on the Settings for the app. It states it will reinstalled. There is also an Uninstall but it will probably reinstall if you use that.

The setupact.log is empty at this point. Sticky notes is a windows app that is running all the time.

Reaction score
If sticky notes is running, you can select it in Task Manager and right click to end task. You may also see log files in the Event Viewer regarding being unable to upgrade.

Whatever you want to do.

Reaction score
If sticky notes is running, you can select it in Task Manager and right click to end task. You may also see log files in the Event Viewer regarding being unable to upgrade.

Whatever you want to do.
I ended sticky notes and tried the update again. Still fails. Here's the setupact.log:

2018-04-26 16:22:33, Info [svchost.exe] Enter WinReIsWimBootEnabled
2018-04-26 16:22:33, Info [svchost.exe] Parameters: pszWinDir: NULL
2018-04-26 16:22:33, Info [svchost.exe] Exit WinReIsWimBootEnabled returns 0 with last error: 0x0
2018-04-26 16:23:04, Info [svchost.exe] Enter WinReIsWimBootEnabled
2018-04-26 16:23:04, Info [svchost.exe] Parameters: pszWinDir: NULL
2018-04-26 16:23:04, Info [svchost.exe] Exit WinReIsWimBootEnabled returns 0 with last error: 0x0

Reaction score
OK, if you go to sticky notes on the settings - Apps and Features, you can get to an advanced options menu which will reset the utility.

If you are using the App do what you need to do ,and still, this may have nothing to do with your problem, just wanted to check. I am hoping if you get it to reset it might repair any problems in that area.

The word seems to be, the next Public Build could be delayed until May 8th, but just rumors, so there may be no hurry.

Reaction score
Well of course Tier 2 never called back. They finally called yesterday to schedule a call for today. The guy wanted to do a clean reinstall of Windows and I told him no. They closed my case. I'll revisit this tomorrow afternoon when I have more time. Will it prevent future updates from installing including the new version of Windows 10-whatever name that may be? :)

Reaction score
They closed my case. I'll revisit this tomorrow afternoon when I have more time. Will it prevent future updates from installing including the new version of Windows 10-whatever name that may be?
I suppose it depends on why the update failed. Microsoft may be trying options for targeting certain system configurations but I do not know.

A new build may redo the system and not even need whatever these updates are for.

If you have the install media for the Build you are currently running, there may be an option for a in-place install which rewrites the system files but doesn't remove your personal files. It is done just like a build upgrade but you may want to wait to see if anyone has any experience or just wait to see what happens otherwise.

Reaction score
Dear Microsoft,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the latest update. I currently have 5 clients scheduled and just this morning, another two called in to set appointments for repair. This is REALLY too much, as I'm now working 60-80 hour weeks and barely have time to take my money to the bank. On behalf of repair techs everywhere, "THANK YOU for REQUIRING automatic updates on home computers; you are making us rich!!!"

Reaction score
I have just tried again after a few cleans etc etc with the same result.
I am trying to upload my log file but it keeps saying it is not an allowed extension.
Any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
You can Zip files and upload that. Let us know if you don't yet know how to use the right click-Send to - Compressed Folder option.

Reaction score
This is my latest attempt at an update.
I did disconnect the internet connection and had run scannow and deleted old updates in the download folder. I used an update downloaded from the microsoft site.
If you can find something that will help I would be most gratefull

Attachments

• WindowsUpdate.zip
    100 KB · Views: 333
Reaction score
Hi,

My system has tried to install this update 5 times now and keeps failing. Dell XPS 8930 with 1.0.9 BIOS. When it reboots, it says that it failed to install and rolls everything back. How when I look at the installed updates it says it was successful. Yet when I check the OS build, it did not update to the correct build. Any suggestions?

I have a HP Pavilion-only 4 mos old-I couldn't get updates to load, pending restart for all of them. I recovered the pc once on my own. Paid HP said to recover again because of corrupt file, (I have done 4 recovers in the last 4 mos for various problems). I finally got the cumulative update KB4093112 to take after multiple UPDATE troubleshooting tool efforts and 75 stages which took about 24 hours. . They all went away except for this new one and same problem-pending restart no matter what I do. It does what everyone else says, goes to about 30% blacks out restarts and then continues to 100% and then fails and removes the update and then will run on it's own later overnight only to repeat the same messages and cycles. HP just wants me to do complete recovery and I don't want to keep having to reload everything that keeps stripping away by doing that especially when it doesn't work. HP offered to turn off all updates and said it didn't matter and the pc will run fine for about 4-5 years. None of this is acceptable to me on a new pc and a windows problem that should be resolved-especially with this many people repeatedly having the same problems on updates-but I am preaching to the choir. I would love to try some of the suggestions on here but am skeptical and I really don't have the skill set to be playing around in this administrative system files. So do we wait and see if a fix is really coming? I dont know how to get to windows people to complain or get support. I Have sent dozens of feedback forms.

Reaction score
@Bryce Preston, I am seeing in your log where the update does happen and the new .402 Windows Update client is installed. About 2 minutes later, the system reboots and then shows the old version again.

I will show the errors I see so you can research them but do you have quite a bit of free space on your drive? You can look this one up but the sites seem to suggest cleaning the drive and removing stuff which to me, it a way of freeing up space on the drive.

Got error querying the post-reboot status for session 30662016_1293861139: 0x80010108

Another error I am seeing is 0xf0922 which I cannot find but references are made to .Net but it could just be the same type of error during install as Windows update.

I am not an expert at reading these logs, so keep that in mind. If you had your Setupact.log from the Windows\Panther.img hidden folder you might be able to pin it down using the times of the problems in the Update log. Such 18:05 on the 26th.

If they are going to release the public build upgrade on Monday, it might take care of some problems .. I just can't say.

Reaction score
@Bryce Preston, I am seeing in your log where the update does happen and the new .402 Windows Update client is installed. About 2 minutes later, the system reboots and then shows the old version again.

I will show the errors I see so you can research them but do you have quite a bit of free space on your drive? You can look this one up but the sites seem to suggest cleaning the drive and removing stuff which to me, it a way of freeing up space on the drive.

Got error querying the post-reboot status for session 30662016_1293861139: 0x80010108

Another error I am seeing is 0xf0922 which I cannot find but references are made to .Net but it could just be the same type of error during install as Windows update.

I am not an expert at reading these logs, so keep that in mind. If you had your Setupact.log from the Windows\Panther.img hidden folder you might be able to pin it down using the times of the problems in the Update log. Such 18:05 on the 26th.

If they are going to release the public build upgrade on Monday, it might take care of some problems .. I just can't say.
Thank you for that.
Before the last update attempt I ran ccleaner and malawarebytes.
I have almost 77gb free space on my ssd.
Will do as you suggest and wait for the public build update before doing anything else.

Reaction score
Has anyone in this thread, beside myself, been able to install the new build upgrade, 17134.1?

Reaction score
Hi
Have just updated to spring update with no problems apart from the length of time it took and I have a 200 connection
All seems to be working fine and
KB4093105

Is no longer shown as available to download.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, did all the stuff mentioned and then some. I still have the problem. I also have another problem of recent. I'm missing my proxy27.dll I'm wondering if one thing has something to do with the other? I used to have proxy 27.dll cuz I need it to run secondlife.com I was in second life in the morning and when i went back in the afternoon the proxy27.dll was missing. Since then my windows updater won't download and install anything. Its courpt is one of the error message. I think its just missing the dll? Anyone know where I can get that? Can't find that either.

Reaction score
I don't seem to have a Proxy27.dll file. It might be part of the game and perhaps your system uses a proxy server? You might check the settings for that to see if you can repair your internet connection, but I am just guessing.

Can you try downloading the install media using the Media Creation tool and update that way, if you are going to update. The public release of the new build is Tuesday so you might keep an eye open for that.

You missing file may be part of the game setup.

Ask a Question