SOLVED Windows update fails to install Cumulative Updates

Reaction score
Windows update fails to install Cumulative Updates

Since the last CU was released, my main computer will not update and I am still on 14393.447 .
Here is what usually happens:
Windows Update downloads the most recent update and prepares to install. Then it asks for a restart. so far so good. When restarting it seems to install the CU but if the computer actually starts again one can see "updating 35%" briefly before it shows the login screen. After logging in a message appears that the update could not finish installing (without any error code).
Maybe there was a glitch when downloading, so I thought, and manually downloaded the latest CU. Starting it manually (after disconnecting from the internet) shows an error message that "this update is not applicable for your computer" even though it is the 64bit version for an 64bit OS.
I tried the Update troubleshooter and according to that it corrected some registry keys but I still cannot update and I sure do not want to reinstall everything....
Being at my wits end here......

2016-12-15_222236.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In doing some additional research I find that you are definitely not alone....
http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-KB3206632-issues/
AND
http://www.windows10update.com/2016/12/windows-10-hit-cumulative-update-issues/

I wish I had something positive to contribute but in three instances (my primary machine, my wife's machine and my grand-daughters new laptop) the update installed without issues.
As a Cubs fan having spent most of my life repeating, wait till next year...... It only took them 108 years to do that World Series thing again. Maybe Microsoft will get it figured out sooner or later.

Reaction score
At worst, you responded to the post, Trouble.

I, also, with my family and acquaintances, have not had any glitches in udates, apart from a couple of self inflicted problems.
I have been so frustrated with trying to make suggestions for a possible cause, that I have even (until this post) avoided replying to such posts!
It can only be, imho, an unfortunate combination of hardware, which, one would think after all this time. Microsoft would have tracked down.

Updates.PNG

Reaction score
well, worst case scenario is that I have to reinstall everything but I am dreading this since this is my main computer.

Reaction score
I can visualize many folks returning to Win 7. in the new year. I've had my win 10 machine turned off since Dec.2nd. MS hosed me again with 4.2 GB of downloads on Nov. 30th and 6.4 GB on Dec 1st. and I don't have a clue what the downloads were, searched everywhere to no avail. One thing I do know is that it wasn't updates. Those two downloads was almost 50% of my monthly data (25GB) cap. So I've been using my win 7 Laptop for the past 15 days. I checked task manager during the first download, Cortana was the download hog and I have Cortana disabled as I have no use for it.

Reaction score
For now, I am gonna leave it as it is. It is still usable just cannot update. Weird thing is, only the CU is affected, nothing else.

Reaction score
It looks like you had a problem with the Adobe Security update. I think I would stop Windows Feature updates and get the other ones straightened out. There may have been a failure prior to what you show.

Look through your system for a Setupact.log. You may find several so check the time stamp and see if it might be relevant during the time of the update.

You could also, if you wanted, use a process to get the WidowsUpdate.log in a readable version. I don't know if there is a tutorial here for that but it can be done with two PowerShell commands.

These logs may have sensitive info so, if they even could help, use your best judgement.

Other than the above, the normal things. Disconnecting external media and removing SD cards. Perhaps disable the Bluetooth in the Bios if you are able.

You have gotten no indication otherwise of an error code and have no prior situations related to Windows Updates.

Reaction score
When you are told the update is not applicable to your computer may mean a prior required update is not present. Since your are still at .447, what happened to KB3201845 which was available on the 9th?

Reaction score
That is why they are called cumulative updates. KB3206632 has the KB3201845 included and should have been updated the computer to the current 576. Even if I try to update to 479 I have the same result as I have with the most recent update 576. Something must have happened AFTER the October update 447 and I cannot figure it out....

Reaction score
You don't show us any updates prior to the failed Adobe update. You did run the troubleshooter you download..right?

So these are the ones I have...

Updates.jpg

Reaction score
I did the WU reset to see if that will help (it did not) so I cannot show you anything anymore. Whenever an Update is available, I download it from the catalog and install it manually. That way I have to download it only once.Occasionally though, while downloading manually, it starts the normal update procedure. then I have to restart to interrupt the update and of course get a failed message.
Usually I run my laptops via Wifi (as a metered connection) but on the manual download I plug in the ethernet cable as it is much faster.There is the catch22....

Reaction score
Problem now solved. I reinstalled my Windows 10 system complete again but at least I made an image of the system partition before I installed my programs again (I failed to do that last time :mad: )
Now I just have to do a few tweaks here and there and update my office again and I am back to normal....:):D:D

Ask a Question