SOLVED Update Failure to Load

Reaction score
Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 fails to load. I restart and the message says my pc is up to date but in update history the upgrade is missing. When I do a search for updates, the message says the upgrade is available but when selected It does not load. I have tried several times but keep going around in the loop. Below are screenshots of the messages.

Update 1.PNG
Update 2.PNG
Update 3.PNG

Bif

Reaction score
I would use the media creation tool to do the upgrade and not rely on WU..just my personal opinion..

Reaction score
Can you supply the link to the tool for this upgrade? I can not find it.

Bif

Reaction score
Sorry Dan I'm on my phone so I don't have the link handy but just search a few of the installation and updates thread and you will find the link there for sure.
Or someone else reading this will post it.

Cheers

Reaction score
I already have Windows 10.0 Home build 10240) and am trying to get the latest update to Windows 10 which is the upgrade to Windows 10 Home version 1511, 10586.. It will not upgrade automatically so I wish to do it manually. Are we on the same page here?

This is what I see now.

Update 4.PNG

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
I already have Windows 10.0 Home build 10240) and am trying to get the latest update to Windows 10 which is the upgrade to Windows 10 Home version 1511, 10586.. It will not upgrade automatically so I wish to do it manually. Are we on the same page here?

This is what I see now.

View attachment 1585
Yes same page Dan,the media creation tool will install the "latest" build regardless of whats previously installed,but Troubles suggestions will streamline the process.

Reaction score
Thanks Bif. I am in the process of loading via the link from Trouble. It is a 30 minute 3.7 GB download to begin with. I am just 75% finished with that. I will report my progress when done. I have not had much success with this type download in the past so am holding my breath.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've never understood why someone would want to download a tool to download something else when all you need is the ISO to begin with.
Additionally
If you run this tool on a PC running Windows 10, it can overwrite temporary files that are needed if you ever want to go back to your previous operating system.
He said he already had Windows 10 installed so..... there you go.
Plus.... if you have the ISO or ISOs then you can always generate whatever media you might need by burning them to DVD or USB ThumbDrive, which I always prefer to do myself.
AND.....
Can anyone tell me that the media creation tool used on a legacy system to create media, will create media that will subsequently boot and install on a UEFI / GPT system.

Bif

Reaction score
Trouble,I was speaking solely from my experience and media tool is what I've used with much success.Not everyone is proficient at burning ISOs and mounting devices..there is more than one way to achieve the same goal depending on one's technical ability.

Reaction score
I finished attempting to install but it failed in the final stages. As I expected, since I have been unable to upgrade this way in the past. The Windows 10 which is currently installed was installed from a disk purchased from Amazon.com. It is running perfectly so I am not concerned about this failure. I am not going to try upgrading again.
Thanks for your help.

Bif

Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind, sorry it didn't work out for you.

Reaction score
One thing I have found slows down updates tremendously is a feature in the Windows Update - Advanced Options. Look under Choose How Updates Are Delivered. Turn OFF the option for getting updates from more than one place. After I tuned that off my updates come in fine. Don't know what that option is supposed to improve, but all I know is that it does not improve anything. In fact it just slows things down.

Reaction score
One thing I have found slows down updates tremendously is a feature in the Windows Update - Advanced Options. Look under Choose How Updates Are Delivered. Turn OFF the option for getting updates from more than one place. After I tuned that off my updates come in fine. Don't know what that option is supposed to improve, but all I know is that it does not improve anything. In fact it just slows things down.
Thanks, I turned it off and will be watching future updates

Hey, you absolutely nailed it Floridagal. As soon as I turned the option off and attempted the update/upgrade to 1511, 10586 it completed the upgrade. I verified with winver and it was completed successfully. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Yea, I am very pleased. Windows 10 has come a long way since its birth this Spring. I think it is far better than Windows 7 now that it operates properly and now that I am familiar with navigating it. I still retain a copy of Windows 7 but that is only for a couple of games which were not compatible with Windows 10. I do not even need the Control Panel now. Windows 10 rocks.

Now that I have resolved this problem I am going to see if I can upgrade the windows 7 pc which would not upgrade.

Reaction score
Yea, I am very pleased. Windows 10 has come a long way since its birth this Spring. I think it is far better than Windows 7 now that it operates properly and now that I am familiar with navigating it. I still retain a copy of Windows 7 but that is only for a couple of games which were not compatible with Windows 10. I do not even need the Control Panel now. Windows 10 rocks.

Now that I have resolved this problem I am going to see if I can upgrade the windows 7 pc which would not upgrade.
If that pc would not upgrade did you run the compatibility tool that tells you if the pc is upgradeable? I'm a computer teacher for Hernando Computer Club here on the Gulf coast (almost directly west of you), and several of my students were not able to upgrade because of the graphics card. Seems some computer manufacturers used cards that were older in their Windows 7 models and now won't work with Windows 10. Every party that I've run across had the same problem - the graphics card.

Reaction score
Not an older pc. Motherboard is modern with an Intel H97 Express Chipset and the BIOS has been factory updated to a later version. It has no card . Is Intel graphics.

Ask a Question