Update from 1607 to 1703 returns ...-Ox20017 error and Dism won't work 0x800f081f

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Assuming that your ISO matches your installed version......
32 bit versus 64 bit and the normal Windows 10 installation versus the Single Language version and you are still having this issue my thoughts are that you might be better off attempting an in-place upgrade / repair from within your installation, using Setup.exe from the mounted ISO.
That is to say...... upgrade it again, overtop of itself from within your current install, just double click setup.exe in the installation media.
That will generally keep all your programs, data, drivers and such safe, but.....
I would still backup all your critical data and create a disk image before going forward.

Installation media can be obtained here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you already have the most recent ISO you can simply mount it from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.

Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Reaction score
Hi @Trouble,
I did exactly what you suggested me to do but, sorry, same negative issue !
I am really desesperate....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You performed a complete and successful in-place upgrade repair install and then you ran
SFC /scannow
And it came back reporting system file integrity violations?

Reaction score
I just finished an SFC /scannow and that returned me a very large cbs.log file with plenty of error messages: I am not a technician but what I can see is that there are several problems who could not be repaired.
for instance following files:
appraiser.sdb
acmigration.dll
... and 5 language-files, and this is very strange because I am using a Single Language edition and in the freshly downloaded iso there are no such files !!!:
kbdno.dll
kbdsl.dll
kbdnso.dll
kbdnepr.dll
kbdnko.dll

is it possible to replace them manually with those from the sources of the fresh downloaded win10 iso (or is this not possible because 'ownership' of those files) ?

Last edited:

Ask a Question