Update rolls back, heres the error in the log

Reaction score
My latest 2 Insider updates are failing and rolling back to previous version. When I look in the rollback log this is what's inside:

2018-09-11 14:11:53, Error SP CSetupPlatformOSSwitchCheckpoint::Rollback: Path "C:\Users" cannot be removed, could be moved out of the way later. Error: 0x00000091[gle=0x00000091]

Any ideas on correcting this and restoring my ability toupdate other than a reload of the OS?
Thanks
f1jim

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you tell us....
What version / build of Windows you are currently running as your installed version?
AND
Which version / build you are attempting to upgrade to?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any reference to Windows Insider Build 17743 except a brief mention specific to HoloLens Devices.
Are you certain that, that is the correct build number on your PC??

Reaction score
No, I guessed. I'm not near the machine for a couple of days and it was two updates prior to the 17758.1 update. Does the rollback error tell you anything?
f1jim

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Error: 0x00000091[gle=0x00000091[/QUOTE]
Not really, except very generally....
When the upgrade process produces an error like that it typically has something to do with an unusually long user name.
However, I would expect it to site a specific user profile rather than the entire user profile folder.

Reaction score
I figured the message about the user folder not able to be moved would be some kind of a hint. Maybe not.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I would try the following.....
Just in case you've got some corrupt files that might be causing the issue and it is just a one off type of problem.

Empty the entire contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder (everything, all subfolders and files).
In order to do this, you will need to run Services.msc and stop both the Windows Update Services as well as the Cryptographic Service.
If you still have a Windows.old folder get rid of that as well.
You can do that relatively quickly by using an admin command prompt and typing
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit enter and check every box
then type
cleanmgr /sagerun:1
Let it run till finished.
After that check the root of C:\ to confirm that you no longer have a ~WINDOWS.~BT folder or a Windows.old folder

Then disconnect any attached peripheral, leaving only a USB connected Mouse, a USB connect Keyboard and of course your monitor. Nothing else.
Uninstall any third party software security suites (antivirus and or firewall software).

Retry the upgrade.

Ask a Question