Updated Version

Reaction score
I installed Win 10 on both desktop and laptop - and it trashed them both! Without going into all the details (for example on my Win 8.1 desktop it lost all my jump lists and the WinKey didn't work, and the Win 7 laptop totally failed to boot ), I'm willing to give it another try on the desktop at least- but how can I tell if a newer (and hopefully more trustworthy version has been released for downloading? I don't wan the massive hassle of reverting to Win 8 again. All helpful comments welcomed!

Reaction score
I'm interested in any answer you get. I had a myriad of problems. I had Windows 7 Ultimate (working great) but got involved in the hype and comments from a friend and decided to upgrade to 10. Big mistake!! I lost my audio (took a few days searching on Google from a private source, found I had to change the bit and Hz settings to restore sound. It started flashing, changing the desktop from the shortcut desktop to a plain one that cycled back and forth and didn't allow clicking on a shortcut. One cycle slowed down and allowed me to click to restore back to 7 which I did. Then my Windows Live Mail loaded old messages and I ended up with over 370 messages I couldn't delete. I it blocked me from saving images, music and data to my folders. Changing the attributes for the folders was a big pain but I've got that working okay now.

I had to dump Windows mail and installed Mozilla Thunderbird.

I tried upgrading twice but had to revert back to 7. I am interested knowing when they come out with a Service Pack 1 so I can see if they've removed some of the glitches and I'll try it again.... :(

Reaction score
To radcliffe287,

There is no "newer" version of Windows 10. The one released on July 29th this year is the only one.

You did not say how did you upgrade your computers.
If you did that via Windows Update, there is another way.......................
Down load the Media Creation Download Tool and install Win 1.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

After you have downloaded the Tool and start to run it, you have 2 choices......
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install
select the Upgrade this PC now and start installing
or
select Create installation media for another PC and download the ISO file. You can then use the ISO to do the install or burn it to a DVD or USB and use the media to install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm interested in any answer you get. I had a myriad of problems. I had Windows 7 Ultimate (working great) but got involved in the hype and comments from a friend and decided to upgrade to 10. Big mistake!! I lost my audio (took a few days searching on Google from a private source, found I had to change the bit and Hz settings to restore sound. It started flashing, changing the desktop from the shortcut desktop to a plain one that cycled back and forth and didn't allow clicking on a shortcut. One cycle slowed down and allowed me to click to restore back to 7 which I did. Then my Windows Live Mail loaded old messages and I ended up with over 370 messages I couldn't delete. I it blocked me from saving images, music and data to my folders. Changing the attributes for the folders was a big pain but I've got that working okay now.

I had to dump Windows mail and installed Mozilla Thunderbird.

I tried upgrading twice but had to revert back to 7. I am interested knowing when they come out with a Service Pack 1 so I can see if they've removed some of the glitches and I'll try it again.... :(

Reaction score
I did download the Media Creation Download Tool and install Win 1. I don't understand how the upgrade could affect so many different things, all totally unrelated. I can't believe it trashed my Windows Live Mail. Making all my folders READ ONLY was unbelievable and drove me nuts trying to correct the problem. Even my Grandson who is a genius on computers and a big help to me was unable to correct the folder problem.

Hope they come up with a Service Pack 1..

Thanks for your reply..

Reaction score
Sorry to here you have had such problems.

I cannot help you solving them, except to make 2 points when using the Media Creation Tool.........
1. Make sure you have picked the correct bit-version , 32 or 64 bit.
2. Make sure you select Windows 10 Pro when you were asked which version you want.

I have used the Tool to install Windows 10 Home and Pro, and I had no issues before, during and after installation.

Reaction score
The Audio thing: The Lenovo laptop I used for the Insider builds had that problem until I altered the sampling rate etc as you did. Part of the problem was that Conextant did not have an uptodate audio driver. The rtm W10 that installed on my desktop had no audio problems.
As for Windows Mail, sorry, I was using Thunderbird and tested it on the Insider builds by just copying the whole set up across. On the desktop RTM upgrade it just works as before. FWIW I did try Outlook for the first time since the days of Windows XP at work and decided I just don't like the new (2016) version.

There is an Insider rumour that there will be a new insider release which will be sort of an SP1 sometime soon. BUt MS have said no more Service packs as such.

Reaction score
Thanks to all for their postings! Just a couple of additions from my side - to JackR I can add that I too had a desktop which flashed quickly from all-black to normal, making it impossible to use. And to Davidhk129, I used Windows Update for my desktop, and the Media Creation Tool for the laptop.

I do understand that we're unlikely to get an SP1 version soon, but I'd hope that some error-corrections might be made and that it would be worth trying again. But how can I tell if it's safe to put a toe into the Win-10 waters again??

Ask a Question