SOLVED Updates Not Installing

Reaction score
I regularly check for updates, install and reboot my Surface Book laptop so I was surprised when I checked my Windows version and it was dated a year ago. I hit check for updates and it did an endless loop for a couple hours. There were no messages about files downloaded, installed, etc. However, it shows the current date as last checked.

How do I update? Do I need to reinstall Windows 10?

Reaction score
Hi,

Please be aware that this page is directed toward the UK English version and if you need to, scroll down the page to the bottom left and select a different language!. :)

Reaction score
It worked on one computer so I tried it on another...iffy. However, I think that one is a lemon so it might be the hardware and not the software.

Reaction score
Hi.

how old is the iffy computer?, if it is really old, it might be a good idea to replace the hard drive if you haven't done so recently!. :)

Reaction score
Three years old...just a lemon. I use an attached hard drive to store files so all that computer has to 'store' is Windows. I'm not using it. I thought if I could make it work properly I'd donate it with all the kids needing computers at the moment. But I don't want to give them a problem.

Reaction score
Never got into that and don't think I want to at this point. And the schools seem to using Windows (if they aren't using ipads).

Reaction score
Just thought I would mention it as you can create a "Live CD/USB" and boot from it to test if your hardware is okay, you then shut down the computer without installing and just remove the CD/USB stick!. :)

Reaction score
Like an ISO file? And then if the hardware is ok just do a clean install of Windows, wiping everything clean. Worth a try.

Reaction score
Yes, exactly if that is the route you want to take. All versions of Linux (I recommend Ubuntu based systems) come with a partition editor (GParted) and during the Live USB/DVD test, you can wipe the drive and then reboot with a Windows USB/DVD and install a fresh system AFTER checking that all your hardware is okay!. :)

Reaction score
Lots to think about...not sure how much time I want to spend on it but it seems worth at least one attempt. Thanks for all your information.

Reaction score
No problem, if you need any pointers, I can link several Linux tips for you. :):):)

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, if you get messages from GParted about it not being able to read/write certain sectors of the drive, then it is a good indicator that the hard drive is faulty!. :)

Ask a Question