Updates

Reaction score
Anyone know if MS are staying with the update Tuesday schedule since the anniversary update? Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No I don't think so.
At least not until things settle down a bit with all the glitching.
Seems to be more like every Tuesday is update Tuesday, OR.... Pick a day at random. I think the Feedback Hub is blowing up with all the various issues with freezing, some very unique hardware issues associated with some hybrid drives in some configuration as well as some third party software.
I'm expecting another cumulative update very soon. They have been testing a couple who still have their 14393 machines on the insider "release preview" ring and haven't graduated to the Redstone (fast ring) previews.
Which change the build number from 14393.51
To
14393.67 and 14393.82 respectively
I expect we'll see something very soon, as a result of this, on our machines that are not insider preview machines

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trouble thanks for the update. I noticed some changes with how updates are delivered with the anniversary update. Not as many choices anymore. The reason I ask is, last Friday I created a home network, in the main, for reducing download bandwidth. I posted a question in the "Windows 10 Support Forum" on Windows 10 Networking and down loading, but had no replies. I think I have it figured out now? I'll have to wait and see how or if it works?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I saw your other thread (post), but had nothing to contribute.
I know that Saltgrass has commented a couple times that he has experienced download performance boosts with that setting, but.....
Personally I've never noticed anything particularly special going on, and.....
I don't particularly like the idea of being another bot in a giant torrent, seed and feed network so I leave that setting "Off"
Capture2.PNG

IF I were going to leave it on..... meaning I would trust Microsoft to actually mean what they say in this particular instance, I would definitely choose (select) "PCs on my local network), although.....
Again, it hasn't seemed to actually make any appreciable difference for me.

Reaction score
I agree. I have played with that setting, before receiving, for example, large builds. I have a particularly slow connection, and have not noticed any change in download performance. Not too happy with the "torrent" aspect, either. I have used such in the past, with, quite often, some unexpected inclusions within the download. My instinct tells me that, possibly, in this case, the reference to other computers is restricted ... but..

Reaction score
Users would be crazy to select the peer to peer up/download and allow other users PC's on the internet to upload updates from your own PC, rather than the MS server. That's stealing your personal bandwidth, it's bandwidth robbery.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I expect we'll see something very soon, as a result of this, on our machines that are not insider preview machines
Nice to see my Crystal Ball is still working.
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176934)
upload_2016-8-23_12-41-40.png

Still waiting for Microsoft to publish some info as to what it actually addresses or what it might fix.

EDIT: Found it.
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
  • Improved reliability of Network Controller, DNS server, gateways, Storage Spaces Direct, Group Managed Service Accounts, remote procedure calls (RPC), PowerShell, Internet Explorer 11, printer pairing and interoperability, the Windows kernel, Media Core, Windows Store, Connected Standby, Cluster Health service, the Hypervisor debugger and platform, and Active Directory.
  • Improved performance of Storage Spaces Direct with many nodes or disks, scrolling lists on Xbox One, DHCP address acquisition, Active Directory queries, and Cluster Health service.
  • Addressed issue that prevents external media from playing on Xbox One using Cast to Device.
  • Addressed issue with Mouse events not working correctly in Internet Explorer 11.
  • Addressed issue with the rendering and resizing of nested tables in Internet Explorer 11.
  • Addressed issue with the UI layout not updating correctly in Internet Explorer 11 quirks mode.
  • Addressed issue that was causing nodes to be disconnected from a Cluster service intermittently.
  • Addressed issue with the 3G and 4G options not appearing correctly in Windows 10 Mobile settings.
  • Addressed additional issues with mobile device management (MDM) enrollment for an Azure Active Directory tenant, software compatibility, rendering of Yu Gothic fonts, Cortana, slow connections to cluster shares, Xbox One unable to launch the Netflix app using the DIAL protocol, Xbox One volume and music playback, all video stops while audio plays in a TV app, incorrect scaling of Internet Explorer 11 first-run dialog, driver setup, Windows Update for Business, apps failing to install after resetting device, boot failure with Hyper-V and BitLocker enabled, Cache Manager, Cluster Health service, inability to change roles and features on a locked device, disk-to-enclosure mappings not working, PowerShell, missing lock screen image, fitness tracker not recognized as a mass storage device, synchronization not working between Intune and Azure Active Directory (AAD), Skype calls over Wi-Fi, streaming playback using progressive download, unable to cancel download from Windows, extensions for Microsoft Edge, incorrect lock screen UI after resuming from hibernate and sleep, and blocked installation of game bundles from the Windows Store.
SOURCE: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history?ocid=update_setting_client

Reaction score
I received Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936). immediately after Cumulative Update (KB3176934) Curious. I read on different tech sites about KB3176932, which I never received?

Reaction score
Well they have fixed one thing. My Kobo ereader is now 'seen' properly by file explorer and the app that uses it.

Reaction score
Thanks! I got two of them, the same as trouble KB 3176934 and 3176936. I networked my PC's to save on bandwidth? the second PC received the updates at the same time too. But I'm not sure if the delivery was from the primary PC or directly from the MS server. To me 1.9 GB seems a tad large for 2 updates, maybe I got 2x2? I don't know how to find out the size of the updates, the old way of update delivery MS indicated the size of the downloads with the pre-download notification. I guess they don't want us to know that anymore.

Reaction score
I know that Saltgrass has commented a couple times that he has experienced download performance boosts with that setting, but.....
I think there is or was a bug in that system. After having updated two systems, on the third one I had the Local Computers option and the download speed did not exceed the normal 60 Mbps. When I checked the option for Local and internet, the speed went to 200 Mbps. Since my internet speed was already maxed out the only place the extra speed could have come from was the other two systems which were on and available.

I just got the two updates and the Cumulative was fairly large. Something strange happened after I rebooted and I got a popup message wanting to allow Diskpart to make some changes. I selected no so I guess I will see if that causes a problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Saltgrass Thanks for the info.
Other than selecting to receive updates from from PC's on my local network, there is little, if any, information on how this procedure is performed. My question is, If the secondary PC happens to be off, (which mine is most of the time) when I turn it on, will it look for updates on my primary PC that received the updates, or will it connect to the MS server and download the updates again.
All I know at this time is that I saw an increase of 1GB in bandwidth used after downloading the 2 updates to 2 PC's yesterday.

MS seem to be so secretive on the method of downloads from user networked PC's and how it operates. I'm sure businesses would network their PC's for downloading updates?

Reaction score
On the page where you make the selection for local or local and internet systems, there is a Learn More link. It might explain how things work.

I always do downloads on one system at a time. After that one is complete another system can use those same files and downloads them from your local network instead of the Microsoft server. That is the only way I have been able to get the 200 Mbps download speeds.

The option to use just local computers may have been repaired in one of the updates, I did give feedback on that situation.

Reaction score
What is Microsoft pushing (hawking) today by updates? On this PC desktop... Wndows 10 PRO. according to "winver" (OS Build 14393.82) it went ok. No problems installing. On my other HP desktop with Windows 10 HOME, things are not so good. I showed that I had to "restart" the computer, which I have done. And with that it where the troubles are...the "wirley bird" in running in circles on the monitor and has for about two hours now....I would guess it is trying to do the same update as on the PC with Pro.
BTW. Both of these computers have had the Windows 10 Anniversary updates.

I finally found a way to get the PC to a screen where I can do some do some damage. I have reset the PC to go back to the time I downloaded WIN 10 in July 2015. The PC is now installing Windows 10 Home....like the first time. I will never upgrade to any "updates" or anything that resembles one.

Reaction score

Ask a Question