Updates

Reaction score
Update: Week or so ago I made the comment that I would like to remove the "hard drive' in the PC with WIN 10 Home, and install a new clean hard drive and take my original WIN 7 Home disc and install the WIN 7 OS on it. This way I would have a PC with WIN 7. And if and when it became that MS would "pay me" to put the hard drive with WIN 10 on it, I would re-install the hard drive. Well!. luck would have it, as the mighty fast USPS just delivered the new hard drive. So, when the PC finishes the resetting the hard drive to WIN 10, I will remove it and install the new drive.

Reaction score
I did a similar thing. I have 2 PC's with Win 10 Pro and a Dell Laptop updated from Win 7 home to Win 10 Home.
Although I haven't had any problems with Windows 10, the problems and update issues with Win 10 got me thinking outside the box. It's essential that I have a reliable working PC; so I did a clean reinstall of Win 7 from OEM discs back onto my laptop. As Windows 10 was on the Laptop hopefully! I can reinstall Win 10 when the dust settles. I don't see why I couldn't reinstall Win 10 as the Laptop is already electronically registered with MS.
Knowing MS that may change too? At least I have peace of mind that I have a reliable Win 7 backup option.

Reaction score
Well, not as I expected to happen, but, I did go back to Windows 10 version 1607 ) OS Build 14393.0) At least I didn't get any new updates installed. So, I'm going to remove the hard drive with this WIN 10 on it, and store it (save) in case I have to have it later in years ahead.

I'm hoping the new Seagate HD will go smoothly and the WIN 7 Home disc will install, giving me back to the good old days with seven.

Reaction score
Been There It will go smoothly. However, getting the updates is a bit of a pain, but the results are well worth the effort. With XP and Windows 7 I've had no headaches for 3 weeks. LOL
I just don't like the stuff that MS is forcing us to accept, all my apps are disabled and I don't use Edge or play games. If we did complain, I would expect a MS response something like "Well! you got Win 10 for free"

Reaction score
The other MS option, using other PC's on the internet as servers is unbelievable and dangerous. My opinion.
A point I might bring up about this is the Microsoft Downloader is what picks out what files to use. I would guess it has a way to verify their validity.

If you have two systems on one network, by doing them separately, you increase the download speed to the first one and when the second one does its download you may increase that download speed by the speed of your local network. A slower internet connection would benefit more that a fast one.

But whatever you think is best, we all want to be safe...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would expect a MS response something like "Well! you got Win 10 for free"
To which I would respond..... no I didn't.
It cost me and you and everyone else a pre-existing license (product key) in order to take advantage of the "free" upgrade to Windows 10.
AND
IF I have "upgrade" rights as a result of that pre-existing license, then I presume I also have "downgrade" rights to return to Windows 7 or 8 should I so choose.

Reaction score
Trouble I agree. It's just MS attitude and their forceful tactics pushing Win 10 that angers me.
Prime example: of dirty deeds. Would Ford show up at your home take away a VW that you paid for and drop off a Ford Fusion that hadn't passed a thorough factory safety/performance testing. No! there would be a public outcry, class action lawsuits. I firmly believe that Microsoft have yet to pay the consequences for their latest fiasco and Windows 10.

Reaction score
Has anyone actually observed the data that is uploaded from your PC when you are receiving MS updates. I observed it with the August 4 cumulative update, the upload bandwidth surprised me. Sorry, I don't recall the actual Mbps. but I was surprised. That was with "Choose "how down loads are delivered switch turned OFF.
I would like to think that it was most likely download or OS licence verification to the MS sever? We may never know.

Reaction score
Yesterday I received 2 updates, KB3176934 and KB 3176936. When I click on Settings "Update History" both updates are shown as installed Aug 23/16. Next, when I click on "the link "Learn More" KB3176934 (OS Build 10586.545) is the only update that shows as being installed Aug. 23, 2016. Does anyone know why Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936) doesn't show in the "Learn more" section which give a complete listing of updates since the anniversary edition was released. I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks!

Reaction score
KB3176936 also can not be uninstalled.

I got KB3176934 on my main PC, and KB3176932 instead on my older PC (insider preview).

Reaction score
KB3176936 also can not be uninstalled.

I got KB3176934 on my main PC, and KB3176932 instead on my older PC (insider preview).

Most likely because the update is for stability improvements for the Windows 10 Version 1607 servicing stack

Reaction score
Well Microsoft added peer to peer downloads because to congestion on their servers. This peer to peer isn't the same as pirate bay as it's all managed by MS. MS downloads bit and pieces to PC over the internet and when you use peer to peer it grabs those pieces and it is actually a faster download. I have peer to peer selected because downloading specific software.

Reaction score
"KB3176936 also can not be uninstalled. I got KB3176934 on my main PC, and KB3176932 instead on my older PC (insider preview)."

It does show in "Programs and Features, and shows that it can be uninstalled, but I have not tried it.

Reaction score
Comment from another forum. Take it or leave it
"Windows 10 includes a new peer-to-peer download feature for updates and Windows Store apps. By default, Windows will automatically use your PC’s Internet connection to upload updates, hiding the option to disable this five clicks deep in the operating system.

You can continue to use peer-to-peer updates on your local network, but you may not want to waste upload bandwidth to help reduce Microsoft’s bandwidth bills."

I agree with the bandwidth comment, but, perhaps it is interdependent on the speed of your connection as to whether it does improve the overall time. In my case, it doesn't.

Reaction score
Knowing how MS is currently handling updates, I have to wonder if turning off the P2P feature really makes any difference, maybe it's a MS bluff. And why didn't MS include the metered option for DSL connected machines?

Reaction score
Well P2P helps with the overload on MS servers and help with speed of downloads a bit.

Ask a Question