Updating to SSD

Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS 8930 desk top PC running Windows 10 Home 64 GB with a 2TD 7200 rpm SATA hard drive approx. 2 years old.
I would like to upgrade to SSD but do not need a 2TD drive a 1TD drive is sufficient.
Can anyone recommend a good reliable SSD drive that is not to expensive?

Ad

Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Moving to an SSD is a great idea - it'll make a HUGE speed difference! You'll like it :D

Does your Dell XPS 8930 have a free m.2. slot? You can get SSDs that use the same SATA connections as your mechanical drive, or newer ones that use a slot directly on the motherboard (most PCs in the last 3 years have this slot).

m.2. drives are preferable if you can use one, with Sandisk, Samsung, Intel and Crucial all being good SSD manufacturers.

With a bit more info on m.2. vs SATA we can advise in a bit more detail :).

Reaction score
If you are going to use an M2/NVME type SSD, you will need to know whether you have some PCI lanes available. NVME is much faster than SATA but on some machines with a modern video card you could run out of PCI bandwidth.
I have read but don't know that big M2 type drives can get hot and potentially overhear part of the motherboard.

Maybe ask this on a Dell forum as well?

Reaction score
The Dell Service Manual for my XPS 8930 shows a slot on the system board, item 8 for a solid-state drive, M.2 SSD.
Searching on the Dell web site for parts using my PC service number only shows “M.2 PCle NVMC class 40 2280 SSD, 1 TB”.

Specifics for my pc: Dell XPS Desktop with Windows 10 Home, 64 bit,
8th generation Intel i7-8700 processor, 3.2 GB
Ram 16 GB DDR4, 2666 MHz
4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti graphics
If I should decide to upgrade to SSD the 1TB drive is adequate for me since currently am only using 68.2 GB
of 1.81 TB (96% free)

There are 4 partitions: 650 MB EFI System Partition (100% used), OS (C) (96% free), 990 MB WINRETOOLS Recovery (53% free) & 13 MB unallocated, not listed only shown.
Since I would be going to a smaller drive, I would have to re-allocate the OS (C) drive partition keeping the others as is. Can the 13 MB partition be eliminated?
I know I would need help to resize OS (C) partition.

To do the cloning I would use Macrium Reflect cloning feature since I already use this software to image my drives as backups

After all this done how do you make the SSD the OS (C) primary drive in place of the other drive?
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
During the clone, you will shrink the C: Partition once the clone is complete Reboot and Spam F12 That will give you a one time Boot menu where you will select your new m.2 NVME SSD. Once you in Windows and all it good you can format your old hard drive and if its still ok use it for data storage or replace it for a newer storage drive.
If your only using 68 GB I would recommend getting a 512GB M.2 NVME SSD and if you need more storage later on just replace your old hard drive with a newer one. I wouldn't go all the way down to that 128GB you could even go down to a 256GB since your only using 68 GB This will save you more than enough to purchase a newer Hard drive if you need more storage or even a 1TB 2.5 SATA SSD this is a direct replacement for your current 2.5 SATA Hard Drive. If you will never need any more than 256GB go for it. Its all you really need.
I have found Samsung 970 Evo excellent for the money in M.2 and 960 Evo for 2.5 SATA SSD. Her is a video showing you how to Clone and adjust partitions size at the same time. you won't need to eliminate any partitions
Be sure your USB Recovery thumb drive is current and works Test it to ensure that it boots into the MR Recovery program. Again Boot up Spaming F12 fo for that onetime boot menu and select your MR Recover USB UEFI

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question