Updating windows 10 on 32 gig w810 tablet

Reaction score
i am having difficulty updating windows 10 on 32 gig w810 tablet. there is insufficient memory. i am not a computer expert. i know there is a way to transfer update to sd card then transfer that to another card? but when i try to send it to the second card the "continue" button remins greyed in. i also can't understand how that would work it seem that 32 gig memory is grossly inadequate for the many updates that would be needed. i have tried removing apps and unnecessary data from the tablet.

Reaction score
i am having difficulty updating windows 10 on 32 gig w810 tablet. there is insufficient memory. i am not a computer expert. i know there is a way to transfer update to sd card then transfer that to another card? but when i try to send it to the second card the "continue" button remins greyed in. i also can't understand how that would work it seem that 32 gig memory is grossly inadequate for the many updates that would be needed. i have tried removing apps and unnecessary data from the tablet.

Reaction score
Hi Steve: Been there done that with a HP Stream 14; it can't be done with my HP 14 Stream. Hp has a page of pc's that are up-dateable to Creator and HP Stream 14 isn't on it. People with a 13 or 15 can jump through a lot of hoops and can update to win 10 version 1703. But if you are a senior, and have the anniversary issue 1607? I would do nothing and ride out the 5 year updates that a Windows MVP told me that MS was going to provide for 1607. Shucks, why didn't they post that somewhere back in April? I have helped over 30 seniors update to 1703 Creator....now the Windows security update is only good for 18 months? If you are a senior you are getting pushed to the side of the road as MS doesn't give a rip about you. Regards

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
seem that 32 gig memory is grossly inadequate for the many updates that would be needed
I would tend to agree.
I thought that Microsoft had addressed this and added support for relocating the update files to external media for use during the process.
i have tried removing apps and unnecessary data from the tablet.
I can only add that if you haven't already, you might look into adding
hiberfil.sys (should disappear when you disable hibernation but check and make sure)
pagefile.sys (set page file to zero (0) / "No page file" and then delete it
swapfile.sys (not even sure this is still around but double check and get rid of it
AND System Restore points.

When finished you should be able to reset the above as previous configured.
Additionally, get the ISO that you need to perform the "Upgrade" and save it to external media or SD card.
Mount it where it is by double clicking it and then launch Setup.exe from the virtual optical drive that is created from the mounting.

PLEASE make sure to backup all critical data and create a disk image in advance of proceeding.

Reaction score
Sigh, I am an old codger Steve, and can't jump through all those hoops you describe. And still HP admits the HP Stream 14 isn't updateable to 1703. You know that many of the 32 Gb steaming laptops mfgs knew that the next Win update was going to be 8 Gb and that their device was not qualified. Yet they kept them on the shelves and kept selling them to us old folks who don't know how much HD a device has and some don't even know what a HD is. Growing old ain't for sissies...just chumps to be taken advantage of?

Reaction score
I would tend to agree.
I thought that Microsoft had addressed this and added support for relocating the update files to external media for use during the process.

hiberfil.sys (should disappear when you disable hibernation but check and make sure)
swapfile.sys (not even sure this is still around but double check and get rid of it

Additionally, get the ISO that you need to perform the "Upgrade" and save it to external media or SD card.
Mount it where it is by double clicking it and then launch Setup.exe from the virtual optical drive that is created from the mounting.

PLEASE make sure to backup all critical data and create a disk image in advance of proceeding.
i'm afraid my computer knowledge is much more rudimentary than yours. i haven't a clue what you've just suggested i do

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry @steve987
I was simply suggesting that on a normal Windows 10 machine, there are several items, that consume a large amount of disk space, that you can temporarily do without and that removing them from the disk, might just provide enough free space to successfully complete the task you are attempting.

To disable and enable hiberfil.sys https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/ (That should delete the hiberfil.sys file although a reboot may be required)
To disable pagefile.sys http://tunecomp.net/win10-page-file-disable/ (That may not delete pagefile.sys / swapfile.sys You may need to show hidden and system files to physically delete it manually)
To disable System Restore http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget.com/tip/How-to-turn-System-Restore-on-or-off (Turning off system restore may not delete existing restore points, you may need to use the configure button to delete them manually.

The links provided may contain ADs for third party products, do not click any links, just read the contents of the article.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

PLEASE return the three items mentioned above to their former state after the task is complete.

Reaction score
I would tend to agree.

thanks for replying again.i presume that when a new update comes along this is going to be a problem each time witth such limited memory and i'll soon be totally unable to update. i tried putting the update on an SD card as suggested with an OTG lead connecte to my miniusb socket with a blank SD card also connected though can't understand how that would work as i couldn't complete the task as the " continue" button stayed greyed in when it was supposed to put the update (i presume on the second card)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
.i presume that when a new update comes along this is going to be a problem each time witth such limited memory
Yes. that is definitely likely.
and i'll soon be totally unable to update
That is not as likely. After the update concludes and everything is running as it should be you can run disk cleanup and get rid of everything that resulted from the update.
Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit enter
Check all the boxes available and click OK
Then in the same command prompt window type
cleanmgr /sagerun:1
hit enter
it will take a while, just let it finish and reboot the computer.

Download the ISO you need for your system from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Using the media creation tool to grab the ISO you need and save it to your SD card and run setup.exe from there.
Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)
Depending on the ISO you need it can be anywhere from 3 to 4 gigs in size so you want to keep that off from your system drive, you can run it from anywhere by simply double clicking the ISO file to mount it.
It does write some files to the system disk and it creates a very large Windows.old folder which are two of the reasons you need a fair amount of free space available to actually perform the upgrade

Ask a Question