Upgrading to windows 10 and recovery question

Reaction score
I have an HP Envy with LeapMotion laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 8.1. There is a Recovery partition with the help of which I can do factory reset.
I have been offered the windows 10 upgrade in my updates only recently. If I do install this upgrade, will I lose the ability to do an HP factory reset? Will there be yet another recovery partition created when I install the offered windows 10 upgrade?

Thanks for any help on these issues before I do accept and install the upgrade

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I honestly don't have a definitive answer to your question(s).
I have heard some horror stories about Windows 10 and its' impact in some instances on the factory recovery partition.
My suggestion would be to make a disk image yourself of the entire disk (all partitions) in advance of performing any such upgrade.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Make sure that after you have created the disk image (whichever product you might choose) that you can inspect the image and confirm that it contains what you expect it should contain.

Reaction score
From Microsoft http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/help-upgrade-windows-10, under "Can i go back to my old operating system", "Note: If the manufacturer set up your PC to run from a compressed Windows image file (also known as Windows image file boot or WIMBoot) and included the option to restore factory settings, that option will no longer be available after you upgrade to Windows 10."

it will create a 450 MB recovery partition after upgrading to Windows 10, but that's for Windows recovery options. If you made your HP recovery discs prior to upgrading to W10 you can use those to reinstall the previous operating system.

Ask a Question