Upgrading to Windows 10

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I did decide to upgrade to Windows 10, but I can't recall how long it took do a complete install and upgrade from Windows 7. So far, with help from members of this forum, I've been satisfied.

Why I ask; I talked my niece into doing the upgrade from Win 7. I clicked on the Upgrade Windows icon in the notification area at 11:00am and now it's about 10 minutes shy of 6:00pm. I forgot how long mine took, but does almost seven hours sound normal? Her machine is generically the same as mine. Should I do I restart and try to upgrade from one of the websites?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there any indication (lights flashing, noise from hard disk, progress meter indicator on screen) that something is actually happening, with respect to either the "download" or the "installation" pieces of the upgrade process?
Did you perform a backup of all her critical data?
Did you create a disk image of her current install?

Reaction score
Yes, there is an indication something is running. I see those dots rotating in a CC direction.
She has a backup of date and have also created a disk image which I hve use a couple of times.
I'm thinking there may be some "afoul" with Win 7 - thing of doing a clean over the top install using the copy of my Win 7. She also has a copy, but I'll use that just for the product key.

Then again, there are two option buttons; "Upgrade" and "Install download and upgrade later". I had clicked on the Upgrade button. Well I'll check it out when I see her this weekend. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might give Ctrl + Alt + Delete a try and see if that produces anything.
And if she has any peripherals connected it might be worth unplugging them.

Reaction score
It took 5.5 hours to upgrade my Windows 7 desktop to 10, and it runs great.

But if she's upgrading on top of your own copy of Win 7, there might be a problem getting 10 to recognize it as legal.

Reaction score
The problem might be a file, she saved to bookmarks, called 'Adell', or something similar. I recall some time back she had a problem and I was unable to create a folder in bookmarks (FF). I deleted the file and I was able to create a folder.
Now, to find the note on how to check for 'System Active' in Win 7.

Ask a Question