Usb flash/external Hdd can Not be safely removed

Reaction score
Im having problems with this - other 3rd party software I tried also could not stop&remove - some told me that Explorer, system and other important files Lock onto these devices - also I wanted to know if it is true what the guy said in the Microsoft forum ??
He said- this is Normal & the Only Method is to Turn the pc off 1st.(( Only for usb connected external hdd's ))

I do Not take this One option for granted - and still seeking other Alternatives to safely Remove - but still would like your Opinion on what this guy said ???

Reaction score
Hi melani,

I have often been faced with this problem, the only way I found to get around it, is to indeed shut down the computer!. I am sure that there is another way like stopping a process but I wouldn't try that as it may cause damage to files being indexed or something like that!. :)

Reaction score
Yep, like Wolfie said, this has been a longtime issue with Windows and usb drives. If Windows doesn't let go of my external hdd, I just shut the PC down and pull it.

Reaction score
task manager to access windows explorer try restart windows explorer

yes a common problem for me, external hdd drives no problem

do a repair scan on the usb

Reaction score
Call me careless. I work, then, on the principal that it is not in use - then I just yank it. Over many years, I have never experienced a disaster.

Ask a Question