SOLVED USB-Irda adapter doesn't work with Windows 10

Reaction score
The 110xx series of builds may never show up in regular updates. I am suggesting that insider stuff from that era may be in the latest production build so have you tried it?

Ah! didn't see this question before I sent the big long reply last nite. If I understand the numbering scheme correctly my production version - 1511 - is based on 10586. That would predate the 110xx builds.

And 1511/10586 seems to have a buggy driver. At least it has a driver, and at least device manager sees the hardware interface - it just doesn't know how to deal with i
t.​

And I don't have the resources: hardware nor time, to start downloading and installing builds. I did plenty of software testing and customer support for a living for many years. I don't feel like becoming a beta tester for Microsoft at this time. As it is we end up paying for the system AND testing it as regular end users!

It's just that I am angry that Microsoft took away at least half of the functionality of my expensive scuba diving investment. If I had done this with the system I supported and shipped out I would have been shot by my customers, and I never committed such an egregious offense. At least with this forum I've learned I am not alone.

Reaction score
Since I am not using an insider version of Windows, I guess I will have to wait a bit more for the damn thing to work in the regular version of Windows.

Windows 10 now has working IrDA - Sorta
Our Supplier provided us with an updated driver last week, and we've been testing it here as best we could (we only have a few IrDA products to test with). Long story short, the driver they have given us is identical to the one already on our website (and ASIX's).

As our last update mentioned, the current driver installs and seems to function fine in the current version of Windows 10, but Windows does not seem to understand how to use the IrDA devices beyond installing the driver. That seems to have changed in the latest pre-release (AKA "Insider Builds") versions of Windows 10.
The vendor recommends that anything newer than build 11082 should work, and our testing shows that the current version installed in the Fast Track is 14316. We found that Window 10 build 14316 will download and install the appropriate driver (v1.3.2.0) as well as launch the IrDA stack service now.

We've tested the IrDA products we had around the office and found that all of them are working exactly as they had in previous editions of Windows.

Steps to get IrDA working in Windows 10:
1. Make Microsoft account. (If you don't have one already).
2. Sign into Windows 10 with your MS account. (If not already doing so).
3. Select to update to "Insider Builds". When prompted, pick the "Fast" option.
4. Update to the latest build offered. (NOTE: It may take up to 24 hours from joining the insider program before a specific build update is offered in Windows Update).

If you need any assistance please reply to this message, or contact us directly at (e-mail address removed)

www.coolgear.com

Reaction score
So there is a good chance that the Anniversary release or Redstone part 1 as it is sometimes called will support IRDA devices for everyone. I guess you will see.

Reaction score
BTW - I plugged in, for the first time in months, my USB-IrDA adapter and my version of Windows 10 currently 1511 (10586.218) recognized the adapter and installed a driver from MosChip Semiconductor Technology Dated 2007-05-18 ver # 1.3.0.0. Full of hope I tried to connect one of my Polar watches and, of course, the thing doesn’t work. I get a message saying, "Polar could not open a communication port. I then downloaded and successfully installed the driver from Coolgear's WEB site ASIX Electronics Corporation dated 2013-07-01 ver #1.3.2.0 and got exactly the same result. At leat now I have the latest available driver and just have to wait until Her Majesty Microsoft get their act together and incorporates the changes made in the latest pre-release (AKA "Insider Builds") versions of Windows 10 described by Coolgear.

In the meantime, with the diving season starting, I am growing increasingly pissed that my expensive Polar watches (450 $ +each) and Uwatec dive computers (2,000 $ + each) no longer work and am seriously considering a class action lawsuit.

USB-Infrared Adapter Driver.PNG

USB-Infrared Adapter Driver Coolgear updated driver.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
As of May 2016, 10 months after the release of Windows 10 USB-IrDA adapters are still not working :
•The device is compatible with Windows 10, and the driver is automatically retrieved by Windows 10 and installed (Version 1.3.0.0 Dated: 18 May 2007) when the device is used for the first time. (Version 1.3.2.0 Dated: 1st Jul, 2013 is available on Coolgear's et ASIX's WEB site)
•BUT, Windows 10 currently doesn't have IrDA stack enabled. You currently won't be able to communicate with your POLAR watch, SCUBAPRO/UWATEC dive computer, other gadgets using IrDA and a PC running on Windows 10.
•Microsoft has released insider preview updates of Windows 10 with IrDA stack enabled. However, these updates are currently available for Microsoft Insider (testers) only.
•Microsoft doesn't communicate on the availability of these latest updates for public use.
Hopefully in Windows 10 Anniversary update our USB-IrDA adaptors will function properly again!

À ce jour soit en Mai 2016, 10 mois depuis le lancement de Windows 10 les adaptateurs USB-IrDA ne fonctionnent toujours pas :
•L'interface est compatible avec Windows 10. Le système lancera automatiquement la recherche de pilote à la première utilisation du périphérique et installera la Version 1.3.0.0 datée: 18 Mai, 2007. (Une version 1.3.2.0 datée: 1er Jul, 2013 est disponible sur les sites WEB de Coolgear et ASIX)
•CEPENDANT, à ce jour, la fonctionnalité de gestion de communication par infrarouge sous Windows 10 n'a pas encore été activée par Microsoft. La communication entre votre montre POLAR, ordinateur de plongée SCUBAPRO/UWATEC et autres appareils utilisant IrDA et un PC sous Windows 10 est donc pour le moment impossible.
•Microsoft a publié des mises à jour pour la version Insider Preview de Windows 10 dans lesquelles la communication par infrarouge est activée. Elles sont néanmoins actuellement disponibles uniquement pour les testeurs du programme Microsoft Insider.
•Microsoft n'a pour le moment pas fait d'annonce concernant la date de disponibilité de ces dernières mises à jour pour la version grand public de Windows 10.
En espérant que nos adaptateurs USB-IrDA redeviennent fonctionnels avec le lancement de la mise à jour Anniversaire de Windows 10

Reaction score
As of May 2016, 10 months after the release of Windows 10 USB-IrDA adapters are still not working :
•The device is compatible with Windows 10, and the driver is automatically retrieved by Windows 10 and installed (Version 1.3.0.0 Dated: 18 May 2007) when the device is used for the first time. (Version 1.3.2.0 Dated: 1st Jul, 2013 is available on Coolgear's et ASIX's WEB site)
•BUT, Windows 10 currently doesn't have IrDA stack enabled. You currently won't be able to communicate with your POLAR watch, SCUBAPRO/UWATEC dive computer, other gadgets using IrDA and a PC running on Windows 10.
•Microsoft has released insider preview updates of Windows 10 with IrDA stack enabled. However, these updates are currently available for Microsoft Insider (testers) only.
•Microsoft doesn't communicate on the availability of these latest updates for public use.
Hopefully in Windows 10 Anniversary update our USB-IrDA adaptors will function properly again!

À ce jour soit en Mai 2016, 10 mois depuis le lancement de Windows 10 les adaptateurs USB-IrDA ne fonctionnent toujours pas :
•L'interface est compatible avec Windows 10. Le système lancera automatiquement la recherche de pilote à la première utilisation du périphérique et installera la Version 1.3.0.0 datée: 18 Mai, 2007. (Une version 1.3.2.0 datée: 1er Jul, 2013 est disponible sur les sites WEB de Coolgear et ASIX)
•CEPENDANT, à ce jour, la fonctionnalité de gestion de communication par infrarouge sous Windows 10 n'a pas encore été activée par Microsoft. La communication entre votre montre POLAR, ordinateur de plongée SCUBAPRO/UWATEC et autres appareils utilisant IrDA et un PC sous Windows 10 est donc pour le moment impossible.
•Microsoft a publié des mises à jour pour la version Insider Preview de Windows 10 dans lesquelles la communication par infrarouge est activée. Elles sont néanmoins actuellement disponibles uniquement pour les testeurs du programme Microsoft Insider.
•Microsoft n'a pour le moment pas fait d'annonce concernant la date de disponibilité de ces dernières mises à jour pour la version grand public de Windows 10.
En espérant que nos adaptateurs USB-IrDA redeviennent fonctionnels avec le lancement de la mise à jour Anniversaire de Windows 10

Reaction score
Claude:

I will be more than happy to join you in your class action suit!

Je sérais très hereux de te joindre dans ton recours collectif !!

Reaction score

Reaction score
Windows 10 permanent fix for IrDA

Good News!

New Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) that explains how to resolve the IrDA issue on current released version of Windows 10.

I tested it and it worked
Step 1: Make sure you're running Windows 10 v1511 (November 2015).
Click on Start
  1. Click on Settings
  2. Click on System
  3. Click on About
  • The Version number will be indicated on the left side.
  • If your version is higher than 1511 you're likely enrolled in the Insider Preview program, and your adapter should already be working. I do no recommend continuing with this guide.
  • If your version is lower than 1511 then you need to run Windows Update to catch up to the current release.
Step 2: Open an Elevated Command Prompt
Click on Start
  1. Type "cmd"
  2. Right-Click on "Command Prompt"
  3. Click on "Run as Administrator"
  4. Click "Yes" or "Allow" on the User Account Control notice
Step 3: The Fix
Type or Copy & paste this command in to the Administrator Command Prompt:
    • netcfg –u ms_irdanetcfg –c p –I ms_irda
    • To paste it:
      1. Copy it from above.
      2. Left click anywhere in the command prompt to bring it into focus
      3. Right-click anywhere in the command prompt to paste the current clipboard contents.
    • This is ONE(1) single command.
    • It should look similar this when you're done (I've already done it, so my output is slightly different):
      151a65af-c6ba-4001-870c-44644bf2cf24.png
  1. REBOOT
    • This is VERY important. It might appear that your Infrared Adapter starts working right away (it should start blinking after you complete the previous step) but NOTHING WILL WORK UNTIL YOU REBOOT.
Step 4: Test & verify

• Get out your dive computer, health monitor, phone, barcode scanner, etc and give it a test run.
  • If you'd like to run some verification checks first:
    • Open another elevated command prompt (Step 2 above)
    • Run the following TWO(2) commands:
      • sc query irda
      • sc query irmon
    • Each command should return a small SERVICE_NAME prinout.
    • The important part is the "STATE" field, it should be "4 RUNNING".
    • I had one gentlemen report back that the second command was not in the running state, but his dive computer still Sync'd fine, so it's not 100% accurate.
There you have it, your IrDA adapters should now be working perfectly fine under the current version of Windows 10, without having to resort to being Microsoft's guinea pig (joining the Insider/Beta program).

The official Microsoft KB article for your records:
Windows 10 permanent fix for IrDA

Hi everyone, Caleb from Coolgear again.

Good News!

We had a customer contact us about a new Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) that explains how to resolve the IrDA issue on current released version of Windows 10.

We've tested this in our lab and I've been in touch with a few customers to test it before sending out this email.

Step 1: Make sure you're running Windows 10 v1511 (November 2015).

1. Click on Start
  2. Click on Settings
  3. Click on System
  4. Click on About
  • The Version number will be indicated on the left side.
  • If your version is higher than 1511 you're likely enrolled in the Insider Preview program, and your adapter should already be working. I do no recommend continuing with this guide.
  • If your version is lower than 1511 then you need to run Windows Update to catch up to the current release.
Step 2: Open an Elevated Command Prompt

1. Click on Start
  2. Type "cmd"
  3. Right-Click on "Command Prompt"
  4. Click on "Run as Administrator"
  5. Click "Yes" or "Allow" on the User Account Control notice
Step 3: The Fix

1. Type or Copy & paste this command in to the Administrator Command Prompt:
    • netcfg –u ms_irdanetcfg –c p –I ms_irda
    • To paste it:
      1. Copy it from above.
      2. Left click anywhere in the command prompt to bring it into focus
      3. Right-click anywhere in the command prompt to paste the current clipboard contents.
    • This is ONE(1) single command.
    • It should look similar this when you're done (I've already done it, so my output is slightly different):
      151a65af-c6ba-4001-870c-44644bf2cf24.png
  2. REBOOT
    • This is VERY important. It might appear that your Infrared Adapter starts working right away (it should start blinking after you complete the previous step) but NOTHING WILL WORK UNTIL YOU REBOOT.
Step 4: Test & verify

• Get out your dive computer, health monitor, phone, barcode scanner, etc and give it a test run.
  • If you'd like to run some verification checks first:
    • Open another elevated command prompt (Step 2 above)
    • Run the following TWO(2) commands:
      • sc query irda
      • sc query irmon
    • Each command should return a small SERVICE_NAME prinout.
    • The important part is the "STATE" field, it should be "4 RUNNING".
    • I had one gentlemen report back that the second command was not in the running state, but his dive computer still Sync'd fine, so it's not 100% accurate.

There you have it, your IrDA adapters should now be working perfectly fine under the current version of Windows 10, without having to resort to being Microsoft's guinea pig (joining the Insider/Beta program).

The official Microsoft KB article for your records: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3150989

Unfortunately this only seems to fix the problem for adapters using MosChip/ASIX MCS7780 chipset, such as the silver Gearmo branded model from Coogear, and likely the similar looking one form Polar. Older adapters using the Sigma-Tel chip are still non-functional. Some users over on this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3cf-7a1a-4633-b6e1-186d8b42f97b?page=1&auth=1 on the Microsoft Forums seem to have gotten them to work,

So after 11 months things are back to normal!

Reaction score
Sorry: not quite back to normal. I did the netcfg commands, rebooted, and ran the two query commands. Both services return the state field of "4 Running". But when I tried to sync with the Subgear XP10 dive computer I had no sucess.I am running the Asix driver version 1.3.2 dated 7/1/2013

Heeelp!

Last edited:
Reaction score
So far I've run the fix on 4 different computers and everything is back to normal. My 3 dive computers, SCUBAPRO/UWATEC Galileo SOL, Luna and 2 Polar watches (S720i,S625x) all communicate with the 4 computers using USB-Irda.

Reaction score
Fantastic!! Many thanks for this. Been doing a lot of tiresome and time-wasting workarounds. End of that thanks to this!

Ask a Question