Device name Boyd
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
Device ID 9668583B-4107-494C-8C9F-E07CCB5E0E07
Product ID 00330-50000-00000-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
=====================================================
Hi,
I have just bought a new desktop as above.
every thing working fine with one exception, The USB sockets are not "Seen" by windows and I have been on other sites and asked the obvious questions to be told I need to install the drivers for the ports.
I have tried to sort that by using Device Driver and telling it to reload, or update the driver and each time windows tells me that the best driver is already installed. as the drives are not seen I cannot tell which port I am plugged into and removing them and then plugging back in to whichever socket I choose does nothing.
Specifically I am trying to get two external H/D connected which work perfectly well in my old desktop, which is still up and running but no matter what I have tried neither drive is seen by this new computer, there has not been a hiccup on the new computer except for this and it is blistering fast to both start and close down and W10 and all the programs I have loaded have all installed without a hitch, but i can get nothing that I loaded to the ext hard drives for the reload as the drives do not exist to W10.
I would appreciate any advice on what ports to use (and any means of telling which USB socket is connected to where and as they obviously are not fixed, how do I tell which to remove and reinstall etc. I have been tempted to go back to my old ten year old one as I really need the usb ports recognized.
If it matters the external drives in the caddies are a 1Tb and the second a 2TB.
Thanks in advance, Boyd

Reaction score
Your "new" desktop is 10 years old, as indicated by the gen3 (Ivy Bridge) cpu. If the external drives are 3.5 inch form factor, the caddy needs an external power supply for the 12V. USB only supplies 5V. Laptop drives need 5V & no 12V.

If the USB ports are not working, the motherboard is probably damaged.

Ask a Question