Useful Windows 10 Downloads

Useful Windows 10 Downloads

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Useful Windows 10 Downloads - A list of helpful downloads for Windows 10

This article is designed as a repository for popular Windows 10 related downloads that would be useful for forum members. We'll keep it updated as new software is added or there are better options available.

Windows 10 ISO:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

You can create your own installation media by running the installer direct from the Microsoft website. This will also allow you to download and save the ISO file if you wish....

Read more about this article...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I was considering that, LibreOffice, Chome, VLC and Foxit but omitted them to avoid turning it in to a growing list of apps (as there are lots of other justifiable ones). As a compromise, I'll add a separate section at the end with a limited selection of apps, whilst still keeping it short and sweet :).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was simply going for the software that was actually being asked for in the forum. If it is not being asked for then there really is no need in adding them to a sticky. The Windows 7 Games are being asked for quite frequently.

Reaction score
Perhaps you should consider Ableword. Totally compatible with Windows 10 and Office docs. It has most of the functions that Office has, and doesn't constantly bombard with updates.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Great idea Ian.

It may be worth pointing them to the Systernal tools and that one you download to hide an unwanted update

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've added the games and sysinternals link, as they come up often. I may make a 2nd article for "recommended apps" or something to that effect, where we can list things like office suites, browsers, compression tools and have a small selection of very good recommendations for each category.

Regedit32

Reaction score
It might be worth asking members who recommend a particular app or utility or antivirus etcetera to consider not only recommending, but creating a tutorial on how to use the tool, app etcetera. That would build more useful articles to help people learn to make good use of the suggested applications.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm all for helping and good with things like libreoffice, 7zip, foxit, sysinternals, vlc, etc., but...
I really don't think Chrome belongs on the list, nor do I believe that adding Firefox is a good idea.
When I saw it on the list it was like taking that test you take in high school...... which one of these doesn't belong or which one of these is unlike the others.
It was like a "duh" moment. Pretty sure any, warm sentient life form on the planet who might under any circumstance require a web browser is likely to have heard and possibly even used "chrome".
Sort of like recommending google as a search engine.
Likely to result in a "I hate" or "why didn't you include" discussion.

Reaction score
A good repository Ian, of useful one-stop-shop stuff.
Perhaps include tools/procedures to wipe/format/partition a HDD/SSD may be useful too as many on the forum advocate reasonably regularly?

Reaction score
I miss the old gadgets of Windows 7. Especially the Weather gadget. I know that there is a Weather icon embedded into Windows 10, but I like the convenience of having the current weather in the top right hand corner of the screen on the old Windows 7 desktop.

Is there an app available that will simulate that Windows 7 gadget and give you the current weather in that location? If not, I wish someone would write such an app.

Have a great one!
Ed Wood

Reaction score
. the best thing about the updates and new unwanted aps is watching them disappear when i uninstall them . that way i almost have MY computer the way I want it .

Reaction score
You can also dump your Ethernet connection and change the wireless to a metered one. Helps a lot.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for this :)
Ninite:
https://ninite.com/

Ninite is a simple software package manager that allows you to install from a select list of common Windows applications with a few clicks. Highly recommended for new PC installs. No bloatware in here!

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Things to consider adding to this list.

Notepad++ 32/64-bit https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.

ScreenToGif http://www.screentogif.com/
A tool that allows you to record a selected area of your screen, live feed from your webcam or live drawings from a sketchboard. Afterwards, you can edit and save the animation as a gif or video

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I like both of those apps, but the latter app is pretty niche, rather than an "essential". I kept the list very light, as it contains links to apps that are really useful for almost any W10 user.

However, as you mentioned articles in the past, why not create a similar article for "Handy Utilities" (or whatever name fits best) and list things like ScreenToGif, Notepad++, Putty, FileZilla, etc... whatever you think would classify as a helpful utility. If you create a thread, I can move it to the article section under your name - just let me know once it's online if you're up for making one.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@Ian

I created a screentogif thread at https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...s-1000-words-a-sequence-speaks-volumes.12790/

Ide like to edit a couple of things before you moving it, or after you move it, but atm theres no edit button I can see.

Eh well, tbh it would be great if more people used this kind of app like ScreenToGif to report issues anywhere, given the challenges with report quality.

There are better tools than that with better features like Couldshot http://www.cloudshot.com/index.html but I favour apps which are portable or dont require install, or that dont hang around consuming resources after started. Which that latter didn't do when I tested it last.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've moved the thread to a new user article section, where the edit time is unlimited :).

Ask a Question