Users laptop locked out - any remote solutions?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I manage the IT for a small nonprofit organisation and I have a small problem with a very remote user who is locked out of her laptop.

Basically there is a local account which is now locked out. They are in a foreign country. They're in Venice, our site is in Cardiff. For reasons which mystify me, they don't want to just ship the laptop back to me on-site. They are not at all technically skilled, as they have not managed to keep 1 username and password without locking themselves out. My questions are:

1.does windows 10 actually permanently lock out local non Microsoft accounts ever? I didn't think it did but they're insisting it is permanently locked, I have provided them with both the correct username and password for their local account and the local admin account I set up before shipping. But apparently they're still locked out.

2. If I prepare a password reset USB stick on a different w10 PC, and ship it out, can they use that to reset the password on their machine? (Lol and realistically will they be able to do this unguided)

3.is there any method by which I can either remotely reset the password, or at least access the file system to recover some files? I was thinking maybe remoting on to a PC on the same network and then hopefully I'd be able to use UNC of it like \\192.168.0.10\c$
but I'm not sure if it'll let me access C: if its locked out.

Any suggestions would be awesome as I'm on the verge of just saying ship it back or stfu.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm on the verge of just saying ship it back or stfu
I'd go with that.
OR tell them to purchase something like
PC UnLocker Enterprise https://www.top-password.com/reset-windows-password.html
Best $50 bucks they'll ever spend.

There are of course multiple other free methods / tools, all of which will generally involve booting from the installation media or other external media, and it doesn't sound like you have anyone near or on-site that has the requisite skill level.
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/
IS one I've personally used successfully without fail.

Ask a Question