Windows 10 change users name

Reaction score
I had an auto repair loop which I couldn't fix and took my laptop to a technician who re-installed my Windows 10 pro 64 but used a different name as the user eg D:\Users\FirstSurname\Documents - it was previously D:\Users\name-zen\documents . This would be ok but I have a Carbonite backup and really do not want to backup everything again - thousands of photos and videos etc. I have looked online and it seems I need to create a new user called name-zen copy everything to that user then delete the firstsurname user.

Is this the way it must be done or can I just change each path. Please help ... I need to know so I can restart my Carbonite backup .

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Viv,

You ought to be able to change the Username in Windows 10 Professional by doing the following:
  • Press your Windows key + R to open the Run dialog
  • In the run dialog type NETPLWIZ then click OK
  • Left-click on the Username in the box below Users for this computer: then click Properties button
  • That will take you to a new window where you should be able to change your username and apply the change.
Recently I discovered that in Windows 10 Home edition doing the above worked, but after rebooting the computer the OS seemed to forget this change and revert back to the old username, so I published an article on how you can manually change this without the need to create a new user account. This article was intended for Windows 10 Home users, but the same steps would work fine in Windows 10 Professional too. The link to article is below:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/how-to-change-your-username-in-windows-10-home-editions.62/

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks so much,Regedit32 - I tried the first suggestion and when I clicked the Properties button only Viv is showing as my username - yet all the data on Drive D folders show D:\Users\VivMurray\Documents . I checked drive C which is where all the system etc folders are and they show just Viv. It seems using a partitioned drive might need a different dialog? Is it possible to go to users on D drive? Or should both C and D drives be the same?

Ask a Question