Using more memory than spec says y' can...

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old Amilo Li2727 lying around. The spec. says it has a maximum RAM limit of 2GB. In its 2 slots there are a 1GB SODIMM memory module in each. It's running Win10 32-bit.

Does anyone have any experience of having tried >2GB of memory in this or a similar system and, if so, what happened?

(I note that sellers of memory nowadays often suggest that more that the specified maximum memory can sometimes work...)

Thanks,

Nefeco.

Reaction score
Hi Nefeco,

oddly enough I was working on a 2 GB 32 Bit PC today!. What you can do is check the motherboard manual and see what the max RAM for the mobo is, I would think it is DDR2 but download Speccy (Free) and it will tell you exactly what RAM it is, look on eBay a RAM set!. Depending on its age, it may have a max of 2 or 4 and maybe even 8GB of RAM!. ;)

Speccy - Free Download (ccleaner.com)

I tried upgrading (increasing to 4GB) the RAM with a differently timed 2GB RAM stick but I got an error tone!. :(

Reaction score
I've seen an older computer with a motherboard still in support that simply needed a BIOS update that allowed larger size modules but there's still too many variables that could prevent it.

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that a 32 Bit version of Windows 10 will only read up to 4 GB RAM (actually 3.5 I think?). If the mobo is 64 Bit capable (check in BIOS) and you can install 8 GB or more, then re-install windows 10 using the 64 Bit version!. ;)

Reaction score
Usually if the Mobo supports 2GB of RAM and one puts more in it, the bigger RAM will not be recognized - AT ALL. Its going to act like there is no RAM. The Mobo reads the eeprom on the module to determine its speed and size and adjusts the clock accordingly IIRC.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old Amilo Li2727 lying around. The spec. says it has a maximum RAM limit of 2GB. In its 2 slots there are a 1GB SODIMM memory module in each. It's running Win10 32-bit.

Does anyone have any experience of having tried >2GB of memory in this or a similar system and, if so, what happened?

(I note that sellers of memory nowadays often suggest that more that the specified maximum memory can sometimes work...)

Thanks,

Nefeco.
These are some of the specs and capacities of your RAM for the Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li 2727:

Operating System
Win Vista Home Premium
Memory
OEM Memory: 1024MB to 2048 MB at DDR2 667 MHz
Maximum Memory: 2048 MB
Number of Total Memory Slots: 2
Processor
Processor: Celeron 1860 MHz
Processor Model: 540
Number of Cores: 1
L2 cache: 1 MB
The system bus: 533 MHz