Using my old ssd with windows 10 on it in a new computer

Reaction score
I had a five year old laptop that was built for music production. Unfortunately the motherboard is bad. I want to build a new desktop pc with more current specs. Is there any way I can use the ssd from the laptop in the new computer. I have a lot of recording and effects software that would take me hours to reinstall, not to mention the hassle of getting them all re-authorized.

Reaction score
Yes - the drive should work as is for a data drive. Also should work as a system drive, but when starting up the first time, it will take longer because it is loading and installing drivers for the new system. You may have activation issues which can usually be resolved. You should download drivers for motherboard, video card, etc. directly from the mfgr. ahead of time, just in case.

Reaction score
If you use it as a boot drive, it probably won't activate because most laptops have an OEM version of Windows, tied to the motherboard. You'll probably have to buy a new Windows license.

Reaction score
I had a five year old laptop that was built for music production. Unfortunately the motherboard is bad. I want to build a new desktop pc with more current specs. Is there any way I can use the ssd from the laptop in the new computer. I have a lot of recording and effects software that would take me hours to reinstall, not to mention the hassle of getting them all re-authorized.
Have you considered asking MicroS. to re-authorize the win10?? Often a call to customer service solves this - I mean of course: i f there is such non-automated service. Good Luck

Reaction score
To use it as a data drive in your new desktop, you can just fit it into one of the drive bays, join it with a suitable power cable to the power supply and use an appropriate connector cable between mobo and drive, for accessing the data, if it is an actual drive with a case. If it is a PCI card drive, then you will need a motherboard that has the correct card slots to receive this SSD.

If you want to use it as the OS system drive too, then you need to clear the license key with MSoft as suggested, or buy a new license and transfer the 'ownership' to the new mobo installation. New device drivers will be required for the new kit, as suggested above.
If you just want to access it and keep it external, then get hold of an appropriate drive dock that has the right connector for your drive and plug it into the new PC as an external drive

Ask a Question